A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Major Clunk In Suspension Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Clunk In Suspension Passenger Side

I just replaced my upper and lower control arms, struts and TRE. Everything was Mahle and struts are bilstein sports. I thought I put everything back as Bentley describes but have thus aweful clunk when hitting pot holes, speed bumps. Sound usually comes from expansion of strut and spring nit at compression.

Everything is torqued to Bentley's specs. Nothing is loose.

Had Evan;s tire look at it since they performed the alignment. They can't find anything loose, Went back to repair shop and they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary either. Everything is tight subframe and suspension parts.

COuld it possibly be the way the spring is seated in the strut tower assembly? Running out of options and patiences!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow, you and i are having the same problematic issues - i replaced everything as you did and i have a clunky rattle coming from somewhere in the front suspension while driving on normal roads, but not highway speed.

did you tighten the pivot bushings while the suspension was at static ride height? also, did you replace the shock mounts?

did you ever figure out why the front end was an inch higher than the rear?
i'm still stumped as to why mine is, as is my mechanic....i'm tempted to just cut a coil off the springs if i can't figure it out..arghh
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
wow, you and i are having the same problematic issues - i replaced everything as you did and i have a clunky rattle coming from somewhere in the front suspension while driving on normal roads, but not highway speed.

did you tighten the pivot bushings while the suspension was at static ride height? also, did you replace the shock mounts?

did you ever figure out why the front end was an inch higher than the rear?
i'm still stumped as to why mine is, as is my mechanic....i'm tempted to just cut a coil off the springs if i can't figure it out..arghh
LMAO: we have to stop shopping at the same aftermarket warehouses. I've done everything three times (it's only takes my an hour per side now)...anyway I had the alignment shop loosen and tighten every freak'n nut and bolt to spec at ride height. Replaced all the bushings and strut componets with new parts. Left side is identicial to right side. Right side clunk and left side quiet.

Same conditions on the freeway - at 100mph it smooth as silk. Love the new car feel to the suspension but hate having ride height increase by 1" and right side clunk.

If i had to do it over again I'd by all OEM parts. I think i may buy the SACHS OEM struts and send the Bilsteins back - there is no noticable difference in the ride between the bilsteins and OEM sachs. i also have a Porsche 993 and 911 and have never had this much trouble replacing simple parts on a car. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that Allroads had a major issue with the "Bilstein clunk". Do a search and you will see. Don't know if the problem applies to other Audi's, but it is a definite possibility.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What drives me nuts is the clunking only happens on normal roads, under around 40 mph, no clunks over bumps or on highway....it's driving me nuts!! No repair ever goes smoothly on this car
Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, mine is clunking from the drivers side front and I replaced my complete front control arms, swaybar links, etc about 1000 miles ago. My clunk only happens when braking hard or pulling into or out of a driveway which causes the left strut to compress. On the road there is no noise.

The clunk is a loud pop, almost like a piece of metal falling onto another piece of metal. None of my suspension bolts are loose. I'm wondering if it could be the strut donuts or something. I'll keep you posted if I figure it out and will be checking this post to see if anyone else solves the mystery.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the exact same heavy clunk right under the drivers side. I would swear its coming right from the floor boards where the predals are . Only does it while pulling away from a stop or breaking hard .. the only thing i did to cause this was replace the strut inserts. nothing else i replaced boge with boge and it still does it.

it did it all winter after i did the change last fall. My wife drives another Audi for summer and this is her winter beater so i figured id fix it over the summer .. sure enough the summer came and i couldnt get it to do it at all.

I am sure it will be back when the weather gets cold .. Iam sure it is the strut assembly causing it .. maybe the spring is not seating properly.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I discovered what was making the clunk in my case. It is the rubber subframe mount.

When I jack up the car and the suspension sags, the subframe mount plastic part slips down within the subframe part that retains it. As it slips, the loud clunk happens and reverberates through the car.

I tried putting some silicone grease between the plastic and subframe, but it didn't help. I don't see how to remove this as the rubber at the top mushrooms over the edge of the mount, and the plastic flange is at the bottom. I can guess that cutting it is an option, but how would you get the new one in I wonder?

Anyway, might want to jack up the car and watch what happens to that mount when the subframe moves.