A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

MFSW switches/light stops working...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MFSW switches/light stops working...

So I made the DB25 for the car to integrate the Sony HCB 300 (I am still waiting for it) So I secided to test the DB25.. and I plugged it in and checked the condition on the RJ45.. everything seemed OK.. also I noticed that the radio was saying PHONE constantly.. I looked up on the forum and found that this is normal condition as the mute wire expects +5V to allow the radio to function... So to test that fiunctionality I took a 3 V battery pack and grounded it and connected the +ve to the mute wire... and Lo!! immediately the radio switched over to music and the PHONE disappeared... I checked this about 2 times again and all is well it switched back and forth.. without an issue..

Now today when I was driving I found that my steering no longer controlled the radio volume or change stations or Cds etc.. like it was dead!! I checked all the fuses and all looked OK.. also Once I noticed that the lights on the MFSW were working... then again I checked and found now the lights are also not glowing on the steering... the car is running fine all lights, indicators.. instrumentation etc work fine... Any thoughts and what could be the issue???

Thanks
Old 05-28-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You might have fried the self-canceling ring, but a VAG COM will check for codes...

when I had the TT tiptronic steering wheel (with the paddle-shifters) on my 2.7T, the VAG COM always said that the steering wheel controls were not communicating properly. Maybe you should check the codes out, and make sure your steering wheel airbag is still working properly (VAG COM will check that too).
Old 05-28-2006, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: You might have fried the self-canceling ring, but a VAG COM will check for codes...

Not sure how I could have done that.... there is no connection between the steering controls and the DB 25.. I think.. Mute is the only common link I think... giving a voltage on it could be the issue??
The airbag check light comes on whne ignition is turned on and then on starting it goes away as normally did earlier.. So I think the airbag stuff should be fine.. I do not have VAG COM anything else I can do??