A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S update, with snow test...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S update, with snow test...

I now have 500 miles on my Pilot A/S (225/50-16) which replaced my perpetually out of round Dunlop SP5000's. These tires get better every time I drive the car!

Drove from St Louis to Chicago, 300 miles, at 75-?? mph. NO vibration, rock solid. Very quiet. Very smooth riding. Great highway tire.

Hit some back roads in the dry. Love the turn-in response. They still seem to lack that "at-the-edge" feedback that the SP5000's had, but could be attributable to being new with full tread. But they hang on as well as the Dunlops.

Snow- went to the inlaws in NW Indiana for Christmas. They always seem to get lake effect snow there. Had 8 inches by Christmas morning. The Michelins are EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS THE SP5000's in traction. The SP5000 has a bit of an edge in braking though. But the Michelin seems to have better cornering bite in the snow. I am as happy with the Pilot A/S as I was the Dunlops in the snow.

Wet- as the snow melted, I got to test the rain performance. These things are definitely wet weather tires! Better than the SP5000 in all respects.

Do I like the Pilot Sport A/S? Absolutely. As compared to the Dunlop SP5000, which I liked but couldn't stand their constantly getting egg shaped, the Pilots are their equal in most repsects yet superior in the wet and nicer riding as well.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've got them on my '01 2.7t and love them.

Just drove 700 miles over the X-Mas weekend in snowy MN and the traction was fantastic.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S update, with snow test...

I have them!!! I didn't give up anything with the purchase of these tires. Five hundred miles and I have a grin on my face. Great traction in wet & dry. I am waiting for real winter weather.BRING IT ON!!!
Old 12-26-2001, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Egg shaped SP5000..

I had that experience also. Many swaps until I found a set that when all 4 tires are mounted in specific, certain positions, I can get them to roll w/o noticable vibration. I think I'll wear them out and try the Michelins. How is the ride in the dry? The softer sidewalls of the Dunlops are a good counterpoint to the lower profile, wider 235/45-17 size I upgraded to from the stock 215/55-16's that came with my 2.7T.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:51 PM

Default Ride in the dry is very comfortable, with excellent handling. Sharp turn-ins, and really good

braking.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Steve, what size are you running? I have 235/45-17.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:04 AM

Default Sidewalls of the Pilots are much stiffer than the Dunlop, but ride is better...

must be the construction of the Michelin that allows for such a smooth ride.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:16 AM

Default Question for snagit on wheel position for reduced vibration....

Can you share any tips or learnings from your experience in reducing your vibration? I have a vibration with my car as well and haven't been able to resolve it yet. Did you just rotate the tires until you found the best location for each wheel? Just looking for suggestions/thoughts. Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Have balanced the wheels *many* times on GPS9700. Had to add minimal weight to two wheels. Sounds like the Pilots may be worth checking out but I'm not sure it's a wheel/tire issue.

Also. I've been able to narrow down that my vibration seems to be more pronounced at 55mph and 75mph. Do you notice this as well?
Old 12-27-2001, 06:06 AM

Default Tried the same thing for a while but tired of it...had them rotate tires 90 degrees on each wheel...

Which helped on one case and made it worse in another.

The tire store was very gratious. Twice they broke the bead on the tire, spun the tire 90 degrees first in one direction then 180 in the other direction to see if that would help. In each case, the wheels didn't take a significant amount of weight, but still hopped on the balancer. i.e.- the balancer would read all 0's but would still shake on the machine because of a bad belt.

Michelins each virtually no weight at all.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default How do they compare to the Yokohamas?

I'm getting ready to order a 2.7t Sports Package and the dealer is willing to allow me to swap out the Continental OEMs for an all season tire.
I've narrowed the search down to the Michelin Pilot A/S and the Yokohama AVS db. It seems like the Yokohama's will be quieter, but I'm not sure about wet/snow traction. Also, the Yokohama's are less money.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S update, with snow test...