A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Dunlop SP5000, another positive opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Dunlop SP5000, another positive opinion...

Like Steve's 2.7t, I too was fed up with bad Dunlops. However, I didn't experience the same premature wear issues he did. Mine were just out of round; constantly. Still had 7/32" of tread on the 2 rear tires (the only ones which had not yet been replaced for going bad) after 9,000 miles of use.

Just returned from having the Dunflops taken off and the Michelins put on. In my case size 225/50-16. Same size Pilot Sport A/S put on.

Impressions:
-Pilots are heavier than the Dunlops (1.5 lbs on the tire store's UPS scale)
-Pilots have significantly stiffer belting across the tread. And somewhat stiffer sidewall.
-On the car, the Pilots do not look nearly as aggressive as the Dunlops. The tread width of the Dunlop is wider than the Pilot.

On the road (dry conditions):
-Pilots are as quiet as the Dunlop. Their tread looked like it could be noisier but it isn't.
-Pilots are a bit stiffer and thumpier especially over expansion strips in the road, though not appreciably.
-Pilots have much better turn in on dry turns. I was surprised at how much better.
-Pilots feel like there is less steering effort required to make the car turn. Where the Dunlops felt a tad hard/ heavy to turn with the 392 relay out (My 2.8's version of the 605), now the steering feels right.
-Don't hold a set as well in the turn, but that could be attributable to being new and having to scuff in for a few hundred miles. My drive from St Louis to Chicago tomorrow night should accomplish that.
-Pilots do not follow road crowns and imperfections like the Dunlops did. In fact, that was probably my second biggest complaint about the Dunlops-they could almost rip the steering wheel out of my hand when I would get in grooves in the pavement- you know, the ones on the highway caused by heavy truck traffic. But the Pilots are radically less affected. Makes for a much more pleasant driving experience.

All in all, the Michelins are a very nice tire. Their handling characteristics far outweigh the slight diffence in ride quality. Michelin's new manufacturing process should assure that they stay round for a long time. I am quite happy with the performance so far (50 miles) and look forward to trying them in the rain and the snow.

Stay tuned for part 2 on Wednesday.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Dunlop SP5000, another positive opinion...

Why not Yokohama's AVS dB's?
Old 12-17-2001, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

PS: Relay 392 is a "pre-2001 thing" not a "2.8 thing".
Old 12-17-2001, 06:07 PM

Let us know how they do in the snow!!
Old 12-17-2001, 06:08 PM

AVS dbs don't have a good history in the snow.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:47 PM

Default Excellent report from another All-Season Yoda. Keep us posted when it snows.

The Michelin Website rates the Pilot Sport A/S as "7 out of 10" for winter traction against the "8" for the Michelin X-One. I felt the X-One that I had before did quite well in snow so it sounds like your Pilot A/S might be almost as good.

FYI, the Pilot Alpin snowtire is rated the baseline "10." I'm not sure if Michelin means that Pilot Sport A/S is 70% as good as the Pilot Alpin on snow traction. The Pilot Sport (not A/s) is rated a "3."

Would be interested in how the PS A/S performs in snow. Perhaps we should try to identify and rate the top three all-seasons available. Each tire competent in slightly different qualities for different applications (e.g., areas with more snow vs areas with more wet (ice?) vs areas with cold vs all-round versatility). Maybe there are already a few comparison tests somewhere if someone can find them.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AVS db

I have a set of the Yokohama's on my A6 4.2 and they work just fine in the snow. Bear in mind that most of the time the roads are not snow covered, even in Canada , and The Yoko's offer a great ride at the other times. I just spent over 4 hours driving them through a snow storm. They did a good job of getting me home safe.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:22 AM

Ed-How are the Hawk pads for brake dust?
Old 12-18-2001, 05:56 AM

Default According to the Michelin and Dunlop specs the Dunlop is .1 inch wider than the-->

Michelin on a 7" wide rim in 225/50/16. In a 235/45/17 the Michelin is .2 narrower. Hardly significant.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:16 AM

Default Much better than OE, but still dust some. Stopping is much improved though...

With the wineglass wheel, I just wipe the dust off each time I wash the car.

Braking performance is much better though, especially hot. Not as much fade as with OE. Most noticable in hot weather, after several hard stops from high speeds.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Dunlop SP5000, another positive opinion...