A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Minor annoyance, but it's becoming very commonplace-->

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Minor annoyance, but it's becoming very commonplace-->

folks in all forums of AW who ask some really silly-sounding questions. All time favorite "what does the snowflake in the display mean" Am I the only person who read his owners manual front to back the first night I owned the car? It's amazimg how many people buy a 40k+ automobile and don't bother to even crack the spine of their owners manual. It may not have everything in it, but this Audi owners manual is one of the most comprehensive ones I've read in years.
If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patience, Jim...

Here's a second person who read the owner's manual cover-to-cover the evening I picked up the car.

I agree with your sentiments (especially the 'snowflake' 8-)> ). But if the reference is *too* thick, some people won't bother. I see this with my customers all the time, which is why I always write "high-level" and "low-level" designs. The customer gets the high-level, the developers get the low-level. (I don't recall if Audi provided a 'Cliffs Notes' version of the manual.)

Of course, maybe folks are just trying to be sociable???

BobT
Old 03-15-2001, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I read both the book and the cliff notes. Don't recall snowflake in cliff notes
Old 03-15-2001, 06:16 AM

Read it the first day I had the car. I still (1 yr. later) try & learn something new every read.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Minor annoyance, but it's becoming very commonplace-->

jim:

just got my new 2001 a6 avant, and the owners manual does mention the snowflake, as a warning that the outside temperature is cold enough that ice may form on the roads...don't recall the exact temperature...

cheers!
Old 03-15-2001, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Patience, Jim...

You didn't read the owner's manual until after you picked up the car!?!

Seriously, if you hang out on the Boxster board you'll find that many people there ordered a manual while waiting for their car to be built and delivered (I guess that's an advantage of not being to easily buy one off the dealer's lot).

marcos
Old 03-15-2001, 09:22 AM
Elder Member

Default same deal with the sunroof

It says how to prevent the helicopter noise in the manual. Doesn't stop people from asking.

A friend of mine was mentioning that he was using his Dremel the other day and the manual said on the cover "Have you really read this manual?" with an emphasis on the really. With a Dremel you can see the necessity to read the manual and yet they still have problems with it.

Oh well, there are bigger problems in this world that people not reading manuals.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:55 AM

Tire mounting and jack use needs to be re-read often ;-)
Old 03-15-2001, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Minor annoyance, but it's becoming very commonplace-->

Hear! Hear! I totally agree. The first night we got our car we didn't even take it out of the garage. Spent the whole evening watching the video and reading ALL the manuals, including the QuickTips.

I also agree that it's one of the very best, 'cept it still doesn't tell me whether or not EDL operates in Reverse.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service writer says he's never cracked open a manual

I just bought a used '99 A6 (Torpedo Red, 2.8 quattro) without a manual.

So I called my local Audi dealer and ordered the $20 manual. I go in to pick it up and the service writer says, "I can't believe you ordered a manual - we don't even read them."!!!

Quick Reply: Minor annoyance, but it's becoming very commonplace-->