A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Mintex red box noise help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mintex red box noise help!

Spent about a day total trying to fix a VERY annoying squeal/noise coming from the front rotors and Mntex red box pads. I have used anti-squeal on the back of the pads, had the rotors machined, and even the "spray on the rotor stuff", and it still makes noise. It makes the noise as you're coming to a stop, and it sounds like rubbing a finger on wet glass except a higher pitch and much much louder. It's not the typical scratching/squeaking noise.

Car is a '98 A6 2.8 fwd, with the "D" shaped sensor.

I was wondering if maybe the pads are too hard? or should I chamfer the edges? Should I put the shims on from the old pads? Anything?? I have taken it apart and put it back together three times now, and am going to take it apart again tonight. Any tips would be appreciated!! (I think it could be the piston contacting the backing plate, as the mintex don't come with shims like Pagids do, although the pagids are chamferred [check pics at germanautoparts.com]).

TIA!
Old 10-25-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Mintex red box noise help!

I just put Mintex Red on my 2000 2.8 and am getting noise as well.

I only get the noise once the pads are heated up and then the squel when coming to a final stop.

Like to hear if you figure something out.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:33 PM

Exactly! It makes the noise as the pads heats up as well....I am desperately looking for a fix. It is very loud and will wake people at night, I'm afraid.

I am going to try and bed the pads tonight (gonna try the "riding the brakes (lightly) at 25mph for about a mile" method) and see if it helps. If not, I am going to take it apart again and try putting the old shims in with the mintex. I wonder why OEM pads only come with shims on the inboard pads [part that contacts piston]?

I ordered from puremotorsports...hrmm I wonder if maybe I got a bad box/batch of pads?

I hope that the noise goes away with some use and miles, but I've never had pads make this much noise in all the cars I've ever replaced pads in.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's what you do...

make at least five 60mph-0 hard stops in rapid succession.
Let the brakes cool by driving without using them for several minutes.
The noise will go away, I promise.
If it returns do the same routine from 80mph.

You just need to get them good and hot and and dragging them for a mile will not be enough.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:41 PM
Former Vendor

Default Bed them in.

Do a few successive stops
30-5mph
Then increase the speed to about 50-5mph.
Each time, increase the pedal pressure.
Make sure to let the brakes cool a minute or two between each run. The idea though is to get them hot.
After you've done about 3-4 60-5mph stops, then drive around and cool the brakes down.

This should fix the squeel.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Ok, I've done that...

just got done doing it on back roads (night time of course, less cars) but they still squeak! But it's at a different pressure and speed than before the bed-in.

Should I do it some more? I did the 30-5, then 45-5, then 50-5 then 60-5. Should I do harder stops? Pedal to floor stops? Or do it until I feel pedal fade and then let it cool for like 5-10 min?

TIA.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How many times did you do that? Good pad-bedding

(for street pads) should be 60-5 mph stops about 8-10 times, then let them "cool" to ambient temps, them repeat.

However, Mintex reds are known to be "noisy" so there may not be anything wrong with them, or your bedding.

HTH
Old 10-25-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Hrmm....

should I continue to do the 60-5 stops 8-10 times in a row even if I experience fade during the bed in?

I hope the pads aren't going to continue to be noisy; I've heard and read great things about the reds (less dust, less noise, better pedal modualtion) otherwise I'll have to get the Pagids or something else. My dad drives the car the most, and squeals are a bit embarrasing and annoying for an Audi (especially in a town where you don't see many of them and people assoicate Audi as a luxury car).

If the reds don't work out, can you reccomend another set of street pads besides the Pagids? The pads are for the 288mm rotors which are on the '98 fwd A6 that I'm working on.

TIA.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same problem, same responses from the same, kind folks as on this thread. Did the bedding twice (5 80mph-5mph stops). Each time the squeal has come back just as badly, and particularly noticeable in city driving with a lot of stop'n'go.

I'm going to get my installer to install OEM pads. I can live with the dust but this noise is just too much. Have you tried coming to a stop with your windows down? Ay Caramba...these
brakes squeal like stuck pigs!! Made me realize
why folks at intersections were staring at me. I thought they were admiring the Audi ;-)
Old 10-25-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Man......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am going to try and re-bed them again...and then I am going to try and chamfer them (bevel the leading and trailing edges).

If this doesnt work, then I'm open to suggestions on other pads, like pagids (aren't pagids oem?) etc. Good thing that the rear mintex havent squealed, yet, ha ha ha (very sarcastic laugh).

Grrrrrrrrrr.....this is really annoying!

Quick Reply: Mintex red box noise help!