A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Misfiring! Ready to go Postal

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring! Ready to go Postal

Hello all.
I am still experiencing a flahing CEL p0300-p0305 codes (with upper limits exceeded) after doing the timing belt service.
No other codes have appeared and the cams and crank are all properly aligned.
I continued to believe it was a timing issue, but without any corresponding codes, I can't believe it is an issue?
I am paranoid about letting her run like this, so I have not used the VAG-COM in an attempt to diagnose anything.
After checking, re-checking and re-re-checking, I found only that the air intake seal to air box is missing. Could this cause the problem? I made a bastardized seal with some vacuum line, but no change.
I am confused as to why cyl 6 is not included in the DTC list. Is this significant?
AAAHHH, WTF could be wrong? Is it just a coincidence that this happened after the timing belt change?
I am very desperate here. I am almost ready to have her towed to a shop for repair. I am giving it one more day and then I must admit defeat.
Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the upper NE OH area. I am about 60mi east of Cleve.

I thank everyone for their previous help, and ask for it once again. I will do anything to fix this car (preferably without going to a shop)
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you change all the associated seals with the timing belt, or was it a short cut job? If you changed the seals, are the valve covers on right? Any leakage into the spark plug area?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did not replace the cam or crank seals. I have pulled the plugs and they are slightly wet with fuel.
How bad does timing need to be before valves are bent?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you are concerned about valve damage, and you shouldn't be, do a leak down or compression test.

Do the plug wires have any oil on them?
Is the firing order correct?
Does the car run and drive normally?

Why did you start a new thread? It's annoying to have go reference the old one to see what work you have already done.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry about the new thread. I am not thinking clearly.
I just did a compression test and found cyl 1,3,4,5,6 are @ 12bar, but cyl 2 is 0!!
From what I can see, all cyl have some damp carbon build-up on them.
I assume the 0 compression of cyl 2 is my main problem?
What is my next step?
Thanks for the patience.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

60 miles east of Cleveland...... that puts you near me, Send me a PM with your location and maybe a contact # and I will give you a call tonight. their are not many "cheap" shops around this area and even fewer that will mess with the 3.0
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

PM sent
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just finished running Seafoam through the intake at the brake booster. I got the usual smoke and stumbling. I let her sit a few minutes, started back up and run for ~15-20'. I then removed the plugs. All had dry carbon build-up on them except for the "0" compression #2 cyl. which was only wet as was the top of the piston.
I repeated the compression test with these results:
cyl's 1,3,5,6 @150psi
cyl 2 @ 0psi
cyl now @ 95psi.
I get the same misfire p0300-p0306, but I am lead to believe this is the carbon-fouled plugs. I will purchase a set of NGK's and try again, but I just don't know.
I will keep up with my progress or lack thereof.
A big thanks to "jschick" for giving of his time and wisdom.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

0 psi means you bent a valve, no compression is a bad sign dude
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, it is a very bad sign. I'm not sure what to do at this point. What am I looking at if it is a bent valve or two? The car is otherwise in good shape, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble at this point. I can't keep taking off from work or using my wife's car, stranding her at home.
This f'ing sucks ***!

Quick Reply: Misfiring! Ready to go Postal