A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Moral dilemma concerning wheel mounting damage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moral dilemma concerning wheel mounting damage.

A few weeks ago I ran over an object which damaged one of my tires beyond repair. It was a brand new wheel/tire set. I couldn't find a replacement tire through any local suppliers (even discount tires), so I ordered online. It was backordered, so I decided to do my timing belt any other misc. maintainence during the wait.

Today, I arrived home to greet a new poxes T1S in my doorway. I excitedly drove down to discount tire co to have them mount and balance the thing. Before they started, I asked the manager if they had the right equipment to mount a low profile tire w/o any damage to the wheel. He assured me things would be fine, and the work was done. I watched the kid as he did it and twice, while he was popping the bead over the rim, the tool he was using slipped. Sure enough, when I got home, I noticed two gouges right at the lip of the brand new rim. I made a call and he said bring it in.

Sorry for the length, but here is my dilemma:

He agreed to replace the wheel, but I wanted to see what others would do. The gouges are definately noticeable when looking closely, but nobody would probably ever even notice if unmentioned. Would you guys make them replace it, or turn the other cheek?

Just curious,
Dave
Old 08-18-2004, 08:14 PM

They assured, They caused damage, They must replace!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Elder Member

I would make them replace it. It's just part of doing business.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my only problem is that....

you "watched the kid" do the deed but didn't inspect the wheel before leaving the shop....hummm. so i think you are somewhat lucky the shop has agreed to cover it....that says something good to me about the manager.

regardless, if they did the damage and have agreed to replace the wheel, it sounds like your problem is solved.

so no need to turn a cheek, but you can make it a cheeky win-win with a little effort.

so if you are thinking long term....as in using this shop again for other things.....here is what i'd suggest.

call the local audi dealer and find out who does their cosmetic wheel repairs. very likely the tool blemishes can be repaired to the degree that you'd be satified. this should only cost 50-100$ compared to a new rim. once you've determined the repair cost/process, drop by the shop and explain you are willing to take this approach. usually this repair guys make house calls or could stop by the tire shop to do the work.

the tire shop saves money, you get a blemish free wheel, the young tech sweats a little less, gets to keep his job and learns a little, and next time you need something tire related...well.

and always always inspect before leaving the shop....i have now gone to the point of taking a digital still of any wheel, or car panel that i think might get dinged during service. i then do a walk around like the car rental places with the service tech when i drop off and snap a few more photos just to remind them.... i hate it when the sevice guys don't treat my car as carefully as i do....

cheers
Old 08-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I did look at it quickly at the shop, but the grease he used...

to lube the tire was covering the gouge. I noticed it at home when I got a chance to wipe it off. Also, I just checked online and the wheel is on sale for $150 currently. May not be worth the trouble of repair. Lucky me, it is a polished lip. Had it been a painted lip, that paint would have been seriously chipped.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-18-2004, 09:19 PM

A very good point of view 6sidua...cheers!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 AM
Elder Member

Default I'd give the dealer the choice...

let them decide if they want to pay to have it repaired or buy a new one. The damage sounds relatively minor, that's one of the things you have to learn to live with in a car IMO or else you're stuck being an overly fussy owner who tries to keep an everyday appliance (that's what a car is basically) in showroom condition. One can try, but it can't really be done.

Good luck,
Jon
Old 08-19-2004, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I agree with 6sidua, give them the choice of having the wheel repaired...

it sounds as if they are a reputable outfit, then use them to get a great deal on some new tyres next time you need some.

If you use this incident to build up a bit a rapour with the manager you will get better service in the future.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My local DT would replace if they did that kind of damage....

That's why I continue to go back to them. They (at least this particular store) understand customer service.

I think it's great that you want to give them a break. But not if it's an inconvenience to you. By agreeing to have the wheel repaired, you will be without the wheel and tire for a period of time, and it will require two trips back to the store- one to remove and one to remount. Your time is worth $$ too.

Bottom line- do what you think is right, and you're happy with the results.