A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

More on Audi trying to build cars with soul (x-post from B5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default More on Audi trying to build cars with soul (x-post from B5)

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2649317.phtml">Maybe they think soul is a fish?</a></li></ul>
Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a really BAD idea
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That would be a sad, sad day for the enthusist world...
Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think it would be odd to loose a A4 with manual tranny, so many of them!

And for **** sake! Why can't we get an S6 with a manual or even an RS6 with a manual! I am (and most likely everyone else on this board) the only people who want this available???

IB
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi May Kiss More than the Clutch Pedal Goodbye......

we've discussed this, but in my opinion if they're serious about being an automotive enthusiast brand, they need manual transmissions across the board; even if it's in only a few percent of the cars sold.

Image is about what could be, even if it's never used that way. BMW understands this and delivers the goods.

Audi is migrating away from the enthusiast crowd and setting their sights on luxury. Prior to the C6, I've loved the way the Audi has been designed, from the engineering, to the functional and impeccably crafted interiors, to the sensuous exteriors and most importantly how they drive.

But with the current offerings, something has changed. They don't seem that impeccably crafted and the styling has gone adrift...worse of all, they are removing the sportiness from their line...they're becoming another Mercedes, with the image the country club crowd is pampered in...I'm afraid the boys from Ingolstadt have lost the interest in being an enthusiasts car company in search of sales.

Maybe the BMW advertising of late stressing "no compromises" was geared toward Audi and VW? After twenty years with Audi, I may be driving my last one. I want to DRIVE a fun car, and to me that requires a manual transmission offering with all I've come to expect from Audi - impeccable engineering, styling and performance...lacking in much of the current lineup.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Maybe I should kiss Audi goodbye & go get a BWM 5 series w/ a manual, which I've been hoping...

would be imported for the A6 in the US, as they are in Europe. Where does Audi AG get their data to conclude there is no demand for manual trannies? If BMW can sell them in the 3, 5, and 6 series in the US, why can't A of A do the same? My guess is that they are not trying hard enough to market the Autobahn sportiness of their cars in the US.

My '87 5000S had a 5-speed manual tied to the 130-hp in-line 5-cylinder engine and it would out run my '96 A6 172-hp 2.8L V6 automatic with ease. A manual would also get better MPG than an automatic (that would help reduce oil imports). Miss that shifter! It will be a very sad day if A of A follows thru with this, indeed!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Catch-22, people tend to not buy Audi's w/a manual b/c they haven't warranted it, but if they turn..

up the level of "soul", and then discontinue the manual trans, people won't buy due to the lack of a manual...poor Audi.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:26 AM

Hard to take your comments seriously when you are driving a tip yourself
Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 AM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Which is why I have those comments.....never again a tip...it's not as much fun....

Also, keep in mind that much of my post was about the enthusiast's image that Audi is losing by not offering a manual transmission across the line, not so much a damning of the tip itself.

This is the only automatic I've ever owned, and I greatly miss shifting the car.

The comments were serious and not specific to me.....
Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 AM

I know, I was just giving you crap. I hate seeing 911's with tip, the owners don't deserve them.

Quick Reply: More on Audi trying to build cars with soul (x-post from B5)