A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

More on Brake Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on Brake Parts

I'm going to buy my new brake parts this week (A6 decided the repair shop was wrong, and put the pad warning light on 10k miles before I thought it would... so time to move on the brakes).

Have one last call to make to LLTek Motorsports to see what they have, but so far I am considering these options, in order of the way I'm leaning right now...

Pads:
1) Ferodo
2) EBC Green
3) Pagid

Front Rotors:
1) Brembo Slotted
2) ATE PowerDiscs
3) Zimmeremann Cross-Drilled
4) ATE Cross-Drilled

Rear Rotors:
1) ATE OE
2) Brembo Slotted
3) Zimmermann Cross-Drilled
4) ATE Cross-Drilled

The Brembo front option will be more expensive, but I can offset the cost if I go with ATE OE rear rotors, which are only $35/each.

I'm not really too interested in getting the cross-drilled rotors just for looks, and everyone I have talked to has advised me to get slotted rotors instead of cross-drilled, with better pads... anyone want to comment? Mainly looking for info on other good pads, if anyone has any.

I'll post again if LLTek has anything I'm interested in...
Old 10-31-2000, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slotted rotors and Hawk pads

I would go with slotted rotors rather than drilled. If you drill a rotor that was not originally designed to be drilled, you will end up with cracks. I speak from experience- unfortunately. On my 911, I tried drilled rotors and broke 2 on the track; went to slotted and never had a problem again.
The purpose of slotted rotors on a street car would be to 1) wipe and channel away water and 2) give hot gasses a place to escape. When brakes get very hot, the gasses and dust can build up between the pad and the rotor like tiny ball bearings thus reducing friction. So why would someone want drilled rotors? Lighter weight (like it matters on our heavy street cars) and looks.
I am researching pad alternatives. Looks like Hawk makes a Carbon Kevlar street pad for these cars. A friend is a distributor of racing brakes for Porsches and speaks very highly of the Hawk's- has them on both his M3 and his Jeep. Should have answers on fitment this week