A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

More on chipping. My recipe for a perfect chip:

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on chipping. My recipe for a perfect chip:

I've been contemplating chipping ever since I've gotten my 2.7T but the products available (APR, MTM) don't quite provide my idea chip. I'd like:

A 3 function chip.

1. Acts like a stock chip (when bringing in the car for service).
2. Has the boost to 300 hp or whatever.
3. Has a highway/cruising mode that conserves fuel.

I've read that the chip for the 4.2 A6 increases gas mileage on the highway. I like that. I wish the 2.7T chip would do that.

I've read that the chips for the 2.7T A6 reduce gas mileage. I don't like that.

Also, it's still not clear to me that anyone has a chip for a 2001 A6 2.7T due to the immobilizer integration.

Am I just being too darn needy?
Old 04-17-2001, 12:59 PM

Default Re: More on chipping. My recipe for a perfect chip:

This won't answer your question, but do you where I can get a chip for a 2000 2.7T. I see everyone talking about them like they're all over the place but I don't know wheer to look.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Think AMS has chip for '01 6spd. Sorry to keep blowing their horn

It's just hat I saw good results at the dealer level and they keep in the loop on new things. I have no financial connection at all.

949-515-1672
Old 04-17-2001, 01:06 PM

Default I got an APR chip and it has everything you want...

It has the EMCS where you can switch it off and on at your leisure.

It gets 307hp and 366lb/ft of torque.

And my gas mileage is better with it. It only suffered at first because of my lead footedness.

I have an 01 and no immobilizer problems whatsoever cause it's my original ECU. YOu only have problems when you are ordering a spare ECU and have to get it coded with a VAG tool.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:10 PM

Default Interesting.. Some questions. Thx for the info

What kind of mileage, approx, do you get with the chip? Or what mpg increase, roughly, do you feel you've goten with the chip?

So do you have to send APR your ECU and they swap out the chip? Is that correct? And do they warranty the chip and ECU?

How do you switch the boost on and off?

Maybe all this info is available somewhere at their web site?

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:12 PM

Thx April. Are you saying dealers "accept" customers using the AMS chip?
Old 04-17-2001, 01:18 PM

Default Do you ever turn it off?

It would seem to me that the EMCS feature would be fun to play with at first but I don't see any advantage it has long term. I suppose the valet mode would be useful if you had teenage children, but other than that why go back to 250HP if you can have 309HP?

marcos
Old 04-17-2001, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I helped a friend install an APR w/EMCS and new ECU

There will be no issue if you let APR put a new chip in your ECU because the immobilizer sees no change in the ECU. If you want a spare ECU so that you can take the car back to a totally unmodified state then you have to get the immobilizer code and set it into the ECU with a VAG-COM ($200). The EMCS lets you switch between stock, Valet and chipped by using the cruise control switches. I have heard on this forum that APR is working on some way to swap ECUs without the immobilizer code.

Check APRs website, it's in the links section of Audiworld. I am not saying that APR is the best (I have only driven two chipped cars and they were both APR) but they have a lot of satified customers and the chip makes the car go FAST!
Old 04-17-2001, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not directly yet. Many dealers don't have interest or experience to differentiate chips

Since AMS carries Abt parts and Audi in Europe is working out a deal with Abt for aftermarket parts...... It's just a comfort level thing. After all, Abt has done some race/team prep for Audi.

If any chip will become acceptable AoA , Abt chips will be it. Right now, AMS has to convert the chips for N.A. Abt has a lot of info ( proprietary from Audi? ) packed into the chip. It takes a while to get ready.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:14 PM

My reasoning: use stock mode most of the time to reduce engine stress, chip mode for fun

Quick Reply: More on chipping. My recipe for a perfect chip: