A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

More on conversion to sport springs (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on conversion to sport springs (long)

I have an early '00 2.7T with the PSP package. I don't like the softness of the stock suspension, but don't want to lower my car 35 mm by installing the Eibach Prokit springs. After quite a bit of research on this, I have reached a conclusion that seems counter to what I've seen posted here.

You can just put PSK springs on a non-PSK car and it will work, there is no problem with the fit. You won't have the full sport suspension, but you'll be a reasonable part of the way there.

I've actually looked at all the parts and I'm convinced...but here's the simple logic.
(A) You can put the Eibach springs on a non-PSK car without changing the shocks. Lots of people have done it.
(B) You can put the Eibach springs on a PSK car without changing the shocks. I don't actually know any one who's done it, but Audi says no problem.

You reach two conclusions from this.
(A) There's no problem with fit between PSK and non-PSK springs.
(B) The non-sport shocks will work just fine. If they can handle a stock spring and the more radically lowered progressive Eibachs, they can handle something in between...like the sport springs.

So if you only want your car 20 mm lower and don't want to pay for all the extra parts to do a complete PSK conversion, don't be afraid to just do the PSK springs. When the original equipment shocks wear out, you can replace them with the stiffer sport part or go to an after market product...Koni has their version out ($111 per at Tirerack) and Bilstein says one is in development.

Just the springs and the rear swaybar should get you a slightly less agressive suspension than doing the same thing with the Eibach's and at roughly the same cost. The only real work involved is figuring out which of the half dozen different springs that Audi used on PSK cars is the one you want. Clair Parts can probably do that for you.

Why have the dealers said you couldn't do it? Basically, because AoA hasn't sent them an advisory telling them it's okay and they don't want to invest the time to figure it out. It's just easier to give you a conservative "It won't work"...and hope you won't bother them again.
Old 02-03-2001, 08:02 PM
Elder Member

Default give it a shot

I'd love to hear a success story. But many others have posted otherwise.

One thing missing in your argument is that although you can install the Eibach springs on a PSK or non-PSK, no one ever said it produces the same results!

The cars may be different heights. Or possibly, putting the PSK springs on a non-PSK may just produce an unstable ride.

You're very gung ho about this, why don't you give it a shot?

We're about to reach a head here, someone has to find out what the real deal is.
Old 02-03-2001, 09:46 PM

Default I may do it

I plan to make a change this Spring. But since I will have everything apart, I may go to the Koni shocks (or the Bils, if they ever come out) at the same time. I'll post the results.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:54 PM

Default Re: I may do it

Have you made the switch to a PSK spring setup? I am looking to do the same on a 2.8Q using both the springs and shocks.