A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

More on multiple oil leaks; gas in oil, fast oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on multiple oil leaks; gas in oil, fast oil loss

In addition to the leaks mentioned in an <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/749123.phtml">earlier post</a>, I noticed a faint smell of gasoline in the oil. Could this be caused just by a blocked PCV system? Also, recently the valvetrain has gotten noisy, but I'm assuming that could be due to the contaminated oil.

Also, overnight, it lost about 500mL of oil. Could this just be an oil pan gasket? This is not consistent. It can go weeks without losing a significant amount of oil, but seems to randomly (but possibly during slight temperature changes) lose large amounts.

As far as the PCV system goes, would replacing the entire breather hose set (in order to get a new PCV valve) be a good thing?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Honestly, that sounds really screwed up

Never should smell gas in oil. Big huge warning sign likely to lead quickly to engine failure. If valvetrain is noisy, your oil has thinned out. STOP driving or running it until you get it fixed or you may lose the whole motor.

I don't know your 2.8 motor, but if it has the Y shaped part in the oil breather system like the other motors do (called a suck valve, suction pump and various other things), that is the PCV valve. Sold as a separate part for $25 or $30. ecs has them on line.

To diagnose further, you need to provide more info. Is it leaking externally? If you don't know, you need to start here. Get the belly cover off and dig into it.

Is it blowing oil smoke out the exhaust? Only when cold on start up? Only when parked on an upslope or downslope? All the time? When you downshift like coming off the freeway? Or, is it black smoke more like excess fuel out the exhaust, maybe accompanied by rough running. Is you CEL on?

Gas in oil is really worrisome.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've changed the suction pump and the green and blue check valves...

I still think there's a PCV blockage.

There is smoke coming from the engine compartment at times off the back driver's side where oil drips down. This can only be seen with the hood open.

I haven't had a chance to get the belly pan off, but it looks like mud when I shine a flashlight down there.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Any idea how much would it cost to replace the whole breather hose set?