A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Muffler Delete Update. Definately doesn't pass the "is the wife going to notice test". Long........

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Delete Update. Definately doesn't pass the "is the wife going to notice test". Long........

I pulled up and all doors and windows were closed at my house and she looks at me and says" why does our car sound like that?"

I smile and she says "what did you do?" Well busted big time I am. I explain to her that is is a test and only a test and that I agree it may be a bit loud.

I had it in for a CV joint replacement and went with the full 2' 1/2" straight pipe all the way back. I also have modified/gutted downpipes. He Took my resonator off and also cut off the mufflers. He did weld the muffler tips back on so it looks stock for now.

He told me to take it for a ride and we would go from there. I am not sure if I like it or not but it def turns heads. Part of the problem is that the Allroad is soooo quite all I am used to hearing is the engine and the turbos. From the inside it is loud, too loud for my taste but from the outside it sounds pretty bas azz.

It is hard to describe but those that have done the muffler delete mod I have a hard time believing that some of the comments I read were that it wasn't loud in the cabin or nto much louder than stock. WTF it is loud.

I will drive it over the weekend and see what I think from the outside but I will prob start to tweek it to tone it down a bit.

My shop suggested 4" resonated tips but I'm not sure if that will do the trick. I am thinking about going with one of the Magna Flow mufflers many of the other DIY muffler folks went with.

Does anyone have a part number for the mufflers that have been used in the past?

BTW I new my wife was going to have some type of emotional response to my new muffler mod but never did I expect her to tear up and cry just a bit. She is emotional right now and we have a lot goign on but I wouldn't have thought it woud go that far in a million years. She said "you ruined our sexy wagon and turned it into one of those cars we make fun of." Her tears quickly turned to laughter when I told her about looks I got from an older lady standing outside of the Outback when I picked up some to go food.

She humored me and listened to it from outside and agreed that it sounded mean, too mean. I agree that it is a bit much to be coming from our sleeper wagon so I will start to play with the exhaust to get it to my liking.

Any suggestions. This was a test and I know it was going to be loud but from what I read I would have thought it would have been a little easier to tolerate in the cabin.

I will get a sound clip up over the weekend, my 1 yr old daughter is sleeping and I don't want to push my luck right now: )
Old 09-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Default I've got no advice on the mod... just a heartfelt "good luck"

wife's expectation x auto issues = a bad day
Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kudos to you for taking the "let's try it and see what it's like approach". My guess is...

that if you have the shop add a pair of Magnaflow mufflers to the end of the straight pipes that it will tame the volume down to the bearable level.

I can't wait to hear the sound clip of the just the straight pipes though.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:16 AM

Default keep the resonator off, and add magnaflows

you will like it, I promise
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 AM

Does that mean there are no cats in the system now? I hope not.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Guess he doesn't need to worry about state emissions inspection.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Or the air his children breathe.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:18 AM

Guess kids health is less important than going fast.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

in his mod list it says "piggie pipes" which usually implies main cats are still in

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete Update. Definately doesn't pass the "is the wife going to notice test". Long........