A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is my headunit about to blow up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my headunit about to blow up?

In my A6 4.2 Quattro Sport I have the Bose TV SatNav Plus system installed.

Recently the volume has been going somewhat screwy. I exit the car with the volume set quite low and stereo left on when I remove the key. Get back in, fire up and the stereo starts cranking at 500dB (well maybe not *that* loud but you get what I mean!).

Is this common or is my headunit about to nuke itself? (
Old 06-14-2002, 06:01 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Try resetting the "turn on" volume setting - it's in the book....
Old 06-14-2002, 06:01 AM

Default I believe there is a way to preset the initial stereo volume at startup...

i.e. the volume when you first turn on the car will always be at that preset level. Perhaps you inadvertently reset this level?
Old 06-14-2002, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Try resetting the "turn on" volume setting - it's in the book....

I believe there's also a section here on AW under Tech and then electronics...
Old 06-14-2002, 07:13 AM

Nope, 'cos it only goes loud occasionally *shrugs* )
Old 06-14-2002, 08:07 AM
Rest In Peace

Default A couple of questions: You have NavPlus - when you turn it down...

from "rock concert" does the position of the volume marker seem consistent with the volume level? If the indicated volume seems much lower than the actual noise output, it sounds like possibly a screwy amp. Bose or integrated amp?

I've found that occassionally the TP volume "carries over" into regular radio or CD volume when the info broadcast is over, usually if I catch a TP announcement as I crank up in the morning - the combination of radio powering up, switching to TP and then briefly power spiking as the ignition fires up can throw it. Do you leave TP switched on & do you use the 24 hour record feature?
Old 06-17-2002, 02:07 AM

Default Re: A couple of questions: You have NavPlus - when you turn it down...

Maybe mine's an earlier version, 'cos I have no visual marker on the screen for the volume at all, just the unmarked rotary **** to control it.

I do leave TP on all the time and I *think* I have the record function on but it doesn't seem to work too well. May have to RTFM to sort that one out!

With any luck, I'll find summat is wrong with the unit and they have to replace the whole thing with a newer model so that I can get the DX satnav system! Here's hoping. )

As a side note, buying the 4.2 Sport has probably been the best thing I have ever done. It's far outclassed any other car I've had, and I can find <b> nobody </b> that doesn't like it!! *joy*!
Old 06-17-2002, 02:54 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Version checking via Nav Mode menu IIRC

While in Nav, press Mode then select settings - there should be a Version Info selection that gives you the hardware and software versions. Mine's hardware RNS 4.1 and software version 0101 I think. I've seen an S8 with software 0102 and I'm hoping a new disc from TeleAtlas will also upgrade the version as I remember seeing something that's different in the newer one and thinking "great, hope I can get that" but I can't remember what is was now (must have made a great impression, huh?).

This may be version dependant, but mine has a setting for switch-on volume. As I usually need to back up (out of my driveway, parking space etc) I set the startup volume quite low. I thikn there's a "last volume" and a set volume option. Might be worth looking at to see if you have the options - selecting whatever you are not using at present might help track down the cause of the problem?

I'd be tempted to go to your Audi centre anyway and ask them for advice - I've found that they will answer questions although it might take a while if they need to refer to Audi UK (who have nobody that knows anything technical beyond what little there is in the brochures). If they can't tell you why it's doing it, insist it must be a fault and see if they will warranty it.

Glad you are enjoying your 4.2, lovely V8 "burble" isn't it?. If you don't mind me asking, did you have a brand loyalty before and what made you decide to switch? I'm on my 3rd Audi now and I can't imagine driving anything other than a quattro.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Version checking via Nav Mode menu IIRC - LONG!!

Thanks for the tips on the version numbers I'll have a look see what I've got.

Re: brand loyalty. I'm a bit of a tart really, in as much as I'm fiercely loyal until they either screw up or someone else produces something *substantially* better!

I have had a Citroen, a Rover (not nice!), a BMW 318iS Coupe, and now got the Lotus Elise.
Bought the A6 4.2 and insured it in the girlfriend's name to help split the insurance loadings, but I drive the 4.2 as much as she does. (In fact, we often fight for the keys!)

I've always liked Audi, but thought them a little too clinical for me. Then my mother bought an A2 (at my suggestion) which she loves. I drove that on a few occasions and loved the quality of the car. I'd been looking for something "a bit different" for ages when I suddenly struck on the A6 2.8q and 4.2q options. Courtesy of astronomical depreciation swallowed by previous owners, a £60k car was in my sights for £23k with only 33k miles on the clock.

The build quality is superb. The car has a lovely subtle shape, but helped by the muscular wheel arches filled with enormous tyres it also says "Excuse me, I'm coming through!". The interior is to die for and with so many toys, it's enough to keep a gadget freak like me happy!

It's averaging around 24mpg overall, which is a mixture of city and motorway driving and I'm not exactly light on the throttle. *grin*

There is only one other problem which I'm trying to get to the bottom of: a vibration through the car at 80mph. One wheel had thrown a balance weight, but I think one of the dampers might be giving up and allowing the wheel to hit a harmonic or something. I'm happy it'll be resolved in time, and it's not diminishing my enjoyment of the Audi.

I may well be hooked on Audis for a while now. The 4.2 has got plenty of life in it, and I can hang on while I save my pennies for an RS6 which I <b>*must*</b> have!
I won't blindly follow the marque though. Just to really stir up the hornet's net, I reckon:
A2 = great design, nicely executed, a little bit scary in crosswinds
A3 = VW Golf in drag. Nice to have the Audi badge but I'd save my money and get a Seat Leon (nearly did in fact) or Skoda Octavia instead
A4 = Nice cars but everyone's going to have one soon
A6 = *ahem* splendid cars without peer ;o)
A8 = Fabulous cars, just too big for my needs. (Sat in an S8 and thought you could play soccer in the back!)
TT = a matter of form over function (IMHO). Beautiful cars but too compromised in various areas to make any sense to me

Anything with an S badge (maybe even an S3!) would be accepted though. RS - even better! I will seriously consider another A6 when the time comes. I pray they produce some of the more extreme designs like the Steppenwolf and Avantissimo.

I fear I just hit verbal diarrhoea (sp?!) but you did ask! D
Old 06-17-2002, 08:55 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I asked - thanks for answering! Let me know if you need any more comparisons with Nav systems.

I'm planning on buying a new DX disk from TeleAtlas soon (I've found the Audi ones are about 3/4 years out of date!) &amp; will let you know if it adds any new "features" when it turns up.

Quick Reply: Is my headunit about to blow up?