A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Nav system data errors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2000, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav system data errors?

I have found by experimentation in my (relatively) local area what appears to be multiple errors in the raw data encoded on the Nav CD....directions that call for 4.4 miles on a certain road , where it should be .4 miles(the next direction is correct, but if you go past the .4 miles it should be, you are suddenly indicated as "off road"), "Special Destinations" that are nowhere near where they are indicated (and no, they haven't moved), instructions to "bear left" on a freeway where there IS no left to bear (unless you count NOT exiting - but the system certainly doesn't give that instruction for every exit you pass!!).
This makes me a bit leery of relying on the Nav data in an unfamiliar area (though so far it has done just fine in that regard...)
I spoke with AoA, and couldn't get them to understand the nature of the problem...they suggested having the dealer check the accuracy of the system (I can confirm that the GPS indicated location is completely accurate by lat/lon, down to the second, and all errors are 100% reproducible, so I conclude it is the CD data.)

Anyone else noticing this? Is it unique to my area's CD? Any thoughts on how to press for a fix, short of simply paying for an "updated" CD when available and just hoping the data has been fixed (a dealer suggestion)?
Old 06-05-2000, 05:54 PM
H

Default Re: Nav system data errors?

I've noticed the same thing. On rare occasions it gives odd or even incorrect advice about a turn. But it still immediately re-calculates the route, so I'm not at all worried that, in an unfamiliar place, it won't eventually get me where I want to be. All this says to me is that Nav systems in general have a ways to go until they are "there". There is still plenty of room for improvement.

How about special destinations including a few non-commercial places...like police stations, post offices, etc?
Old 06-05-2000, 07:42 PM

> "short of simply paying for an "updated" CD when available"...

You mean that updated CDs are charged for?
There are no regular free updates?
Just what does the $170 buy then?
Old 06-05-2000, 09:02 PM

I have encountered similar fake messages here in Switzerland. The message "off raod" is mostly displayed on new roads which are obviously not yet included in the CD ROM database. I have the Nav Plus system which has an additional LCD color monitor in the central console where you can display the road map. What I learned is that the map display on the LCD is always correct (the road to follow is indicated in a different color and the actual car position is given by a triangle on this road). So I assume that the CD ROM data is correct (if the road is already stored) but the satellite reception may be disturbed for a short time so that the actual position is not absolutely correct for an instant? Another problem might be the very s-l-o-w microprocessor of the system - it sometimes needs just too much time to recalculate.

Ernst
A6 4.2Q Tip, black & vanilla, Sports Pkg, Xenon, Nav Plus
Old 06-05-2000, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The non commercial (police stations, gas stations, theaters, etc) are already available on the CD

I've been able to find the arena, a couple of golf courses, and several Chevron gas stations with my California CD. Off the top of my head I don't remember the sequence but it goes something as TOWN -> DEST. AREA.-> TYPE ->

ERT
Old 06-06-2000, 10:54 AM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I believe...

that the please bear next left on a road that has no left turn is (as you have suggested) intended to keep you off of a ramp/exit at a major interseciton that would take you off course. I have found this especially useful at major intersections on the interstate where multiple ramps are relatively close together. I'm in the STL area (Map 3).
Old 06-06-2000, 01:44 PM

Ernst: I definitely understand that not all roads are included. My reference is to road that I am supposed to be on (according to the Nav), but the indicated distance on the Nav to the next (and correctly listed) turn is waaaay above what it should be (e.g. 4.4 miles, when it should be .4 miles). Thus, when I go past the .4 miles, onto a section of road that is not mapped, "off road" is indicated. I have no problem with the concept that not all roads can be mapped...but when then nav system is telling me one thing, and reality is different (and my location is correct), I tend to suspect data errors. As to the satellite reception, you and I must think alike! On every occasion, the system has been receiving at least 5, and as many as 8, signals. And as you know, I unfortunately cannot address the issue of the displayed map, as we do not have the Nav plus here yet. By the way, where in Switzerland are you?

-Bill
'00 a6q 2.7T
Old 06-06-2000, 02:40 PM
H

Default Re: The non commercial (police stations, gas stations, theaters, etc) are already available on the C

I know how the function works...select gas stations in the special destinations menu and it lists multiple stations starting with the nearest. A deficiency here is that it doesn't give any identifying data...just Chevron .1 mi, Chevron, .3 mi, Chevron .3 mi, Chevron .3 mi...etc. With several equidistant choices, there is no way to select one that is in the same direction you are already travelling.

BTW, arenas, gas stations and even golf courses are commercial entities which may have cut deals with the company that produces the navigation maps. Try finding a post office using the special destination menu...in my area, you can't do it, unless perhaps you already know the address. Schools and public parks would be a nice addition. Not all human activity revolves around commercial transactions like shopping. It would also be a nice safety feature to list police stations in the conveniently accessible "special destinations" menu.

I want to stress, I have found the Nav system useful. My point is that there are many ways it could be and in the future hopefully will be improved...this being just one.