A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Navigation Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But can it find the nearest Starbucks?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doesn't look clunky when attached...

it looks very similar to the pop-up ones...but the frame sticking out when not attached would bother me...plus, the wire? where is it when the screen is not attached?...
But, that is why I said that it would be nice to have a new bracket fashioned to click into a screwed in base within the vent...so when the screen in not on, nothing shows.

But, it is a damn good start toward a perfect substitute for an in-dash, stock system that Audi does not offer.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:48 AM

yes it can
Old 09-25-2002, 10:51 AM

Default holder is not movable

look at the picture of the holder it self on my first post. That's what it looks like when i'm not using the screen. it looks like a cell phone holder in a way. i got used to it and don't pay any attention to it.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wasn't suggesting it is movable...just that it would be nice to...

find someone to fabricate a similar, yet still moveable version...not for you (since you are happy with yours), just as an "ultimate" solution...
Personally, I think I'd be content with your set-up...I don't mind the screen not rotating...but I'd probably 'eventually' want to make the holder easily removable...by making it 'clip' into a piece that is permanently attached inside the vent...so when the screen is out...nothing is seen...but that would be lower priority than doing what you've already done.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:44 AM

Default problem with that

is that the holder also has the cable going to it. cable is pretty thick and not much u can do with it. connector at the end of the cable is what the screen attaches to. holder only has the guide for it. so basically new holder has to be made with the cable going out of the back of it somehow. its definitely doable
Old 09-25-2002, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, that cable looks pretty honkin' thick...

I wasn't suggesting it would be easy...I'm not engineer...but I figure if "they" could send someone to the moon in the 60's, someone smarter than I could create a holder to accomplish the goal...but it could be kind of expensive. My friends uncle is a tool and die guy in LA and he can do anything...if he wanted...so, you're right...it can be done...

But, yours looks great...I'd only try to modify the bracket if I was really ambitious...yours is the best I've seen in an Audi, aftermarket.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:24 PM

Default Re: very nice! how is the screen holder installed? is it bolted on there?

Can it be done by me? Or a professional is reqd?
Can u post close up of the holder(including the vent holes)

The best part is holder setup. Cool.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:03 PM

Default answers

Can it be done by me?

Yes it can. if u know ur way around the car it can be done. When my friend was doing the installtion he took apart the whole front side (instrument cluster, radio, and glove compartment). he had to cut out piece of the glove compartment to fit the dvd unit. he cut it right so the dvd unit fit in there perfectly. then he put silicone around the back side of the glove compartment. all of teh extra cables and controller boxes are located on the inside under side of the glove box. Then he started running cables. you have to patch power connector, ebrake connector, speed sensor, backup light, headlights (it has a cool feature where when u turn the lights on the display dims), mute cable to the phone interface on the Bose HU. then u have to run cables from the screen to the RGB box and from the dvd unit to the RGB. If you want to play dvd sound through ur CDC interface u need to connect Blitzsafe adapter in the back and run RCA cable to the glove box for the sound.

Or a professional is reqd?

Highly recommended, unless u know what you are doing. there are a lot of things that need to be done.

I'll take closeup of the holder tonight and post it tommorow. I can't take the picture of the empty vent holes because i don't have the tools to take out the vents. basically holder is L shaped. what is exposed is part of it. on the bottom of the holder is a plate which is attached to the holder. plate has 2 screw holes in it. what he did was take out the vents and screw the flat plate to the inside of the vent holes on the top. u have to use flat head screws, otherwise u can't put the vents back in. ones he did this he put the vents back in and they fit without any problems.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:03 PM

Thanks Finman

Quick Reply: Navigation Pictures