A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need complete and final answer to the tranny "thump" question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My .02 worth - try tip code 00022...

the transmission in these cars boast having some kind of variable gear selection or something like that.... in any case, the TCU decides how you are currently driving and tries to select an appropriate gear ratio to fit the need. I think it gets confused when your hard accelerating in stop and go traffic, so the clunk or thud happens. try recoding your tip with 00022. I think it turns this selection mode off. email me back if it works. it definately helped my 2000 2.7
Old 09-16-2003, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a few AWDs, and I know how lash and bind feel. It's not like this.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I actually have a spare DJ box I could loan for testing.

I've got two, the one that came with my car and a second one which I had giac chipped. I was beginning to wonder, as I have not experienced any of the clunks that people have discussed here before or after the tipchip. I only noticed the delay of agressive throttle from a stop. The box runs about the same as an engine ecu (about a grand), but I'm not selling my spare. I will loan it out (if you cover shipping).

AndrewWK
Old 09-16-2003, 04:19 PM
blu
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm, '03, CVT?
Old 09-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm in the Brooklyn area - what exactly is a BD or BJ Box?

Are these the controller modules for the tranny? If so, I would think that it's pretty hard to swap them out. Unless Audi knew of this problem way ahead of time and designed it to be easily swapped out.
Let me know the details and I'll see about swapping it out. The only problem I forsee is the fact that my local dealer is less than helpful. Especially since I didn't get the car from them. I got the car from a local dealer who probably wouldnt have the know-how or the resources to do something like this. And since the car is right up around the 50K mile mark, my local Audi dealer is probably not going to help me out here.
Any thoughts????
Old 09-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanx Andrew - I might take you up on that offer

That is if all else fails. like trying to coax one out of the dealer, or perhaps trying to have my extended warranty company cover the cost.
Speaking of which, does anyone know hw this would play out with regards to an extended warranty. I can't remember the name of my extended warranty company(the papers are in the car right now), but it's one of the major reputable ones. Do any of you think they would cover such a procedure?
Old 09-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanx man, I'll try that. I think I found a local guy who has Vag-Com

and is willing to share. I just need to email him once I get a free weekend and try to set something up.
Thanx again for the idea. Hopefully it'll work.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Now that you mention it, that's another problem I'm feeling

What I'm refering to is a very tight steering feel when I brake somewhat hard and make a turn.
It's like all of the cars weight is shifting forward during the braking and is coming to rest on whatever controls the steering. 'm not very well versed in car parts in general, but I think you get the point.
Normally, steering is wuite soft, and feels very "assisted". But when making a turn while braking somewhat hard, the steering feels like there's no assist at all.
I didn't pay much attention to this, as I have my sights set on the Thunk problem, but this will probably be my next project after/if the thunk is resolved.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Wouldn't 00012 (spt mode) or 00032 (spt mode + holding 1st in Tip mode) be preferable...

I have 00032 and thinking of going to 00012 in that holding 1st with Tip is useless as far as can tell? It simply revs up too quickly. Actually kinda scary (redlined) when I wasn't paying attention in traffic. PS; Under warranty I got Audi to change my TCU to 4B0927156DJ. Still have a "little thunk" once in a great while, but nothing like the nasty surprises I used to get. Maybe the GIAC TIP chip is the way to go?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the 00032 recode, and it did not change the thunk.

Quick Reply: Need complete and final answer to the tranny "thump" question