A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need help with brake pad change from hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old flathead screwdriver and a hammer (and eye protection)...

BTDT the one time I used the pin: hammer the flathead into the plastic and unscrew it. Good luck.

I never use those pins...had Audis so long I know how to keep the wheel on while I reach for a lug bolt. :P
Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Or you can heat up the head of the screw driver and make a new slit/slot so that

you can easily turn the guide back out.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Fear the Miata!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you're kidding right?

as far as the "ladies aid" is concerned, use a flat head screwdriver and slowly remove it....when i use the "ladies aid" i only turn it a few times, did you screw it in all the way or something? the last time it broke, i was able to remove it in about a minute....good luck
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Unfortunately, I did screw it in all the way this time

Usually, I don't put it in all the way, but I remember thinking that I shouldn't be so lazy this time, so I tightened it snug. Unless I get a metal version, that's the last time I'll ever do that. The thing resisted all attempts to unscrew it using screwdrivers, etc.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think you're probably right and I'll pull the whole thing off

Being relatively new to the car, I've never removed the entire wheel assembly yet-- I assume that the lug holes are open all the way through the back. In any event, that means that I'll have to mess with that damn retaining wire again, which raises one of my original questions-- Is there a better way of putting the wire back on the newer calipers? I think this is definitely going to break my record for longest brake pad change.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Fear the Miata!

Default other than the one time where it broke, i've never had a problem with the ladies aid

like everything else, you need to be careful, which i'm sure you'll be in the future
Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 AM
No Bozos!

Default Sucks if you have to take it apart again

Yes, they are open to the back. and actually once the rotor is off, hammering them through the hubs should be fairly easy, even from the front.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default For the record, I should mention that I'm recovering from cancer treatment

I wouldn't normally resort to a "ladies' aid," given that I'm a relatively young Army officer, but I had the top third of my left femur replaced with a titanium shaft due to bone cancer and am bouncing back after nine months of chemotherapy, so my lifting ability is less than it used to be. Combined with the fact that my rotor was spinning, putting the wheel back on without the ladies' aid was not fun for me. Unless I can find a metal version, however, I'm not sure that I'll be using the plastic guide again anyway, especially since I was fairly careful putting the wheel back on this time. I just missed the hole and it snapped off.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ah, makes sense...definitely get the metal guide pin from ECS tuning...

...it is about $17. Linky below...<ul><li><a href="http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=4.2&amp;mode l=C5%20A6&amp;submodel=Quattro&amp;category=Genera l%20Purpose&amp;subcategory=Tools">ECS Tuning (scroll about halfway down)</a></li></ul>
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Default I really don't understand, why didn't they put the usual little screw in the brake disc?

This is the only car I've ever owned that's not had one, leaving the brake disc spinning and making wheel installation at night a nightmare.

Then they invent a stupid tool instead, that get's stuck. Typical Audi.

Quick Reply: Need help with brake pad change from hell