A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need URGENT help. 99 2.8L Avant keeps stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need URGENT help. 99 2.8L Avant keeps stalling

I have a 1999 A6 Avant with the 2.8L AHA engine. It has new: fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel injectors, coil pack, ignition wires, spark plugs, new O2 sensors. I'll be driving the car and no matter what RPM I'll be at, it will cut out. Even on the highway at 3k it will still cut out. Once it dies it won't start again. It will sometimes kick over and then it cuts out again a few seconds later. Granted it has been around 20 degrees here in CT but I really can't understand what it could possibly be. Any help here?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

guess...crank position sensor. Car will start when cold, but dies when warm. Not too hard to replace. Have heard that it may not throw a code. Speaking of which, any check engine light?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by johnkk
guess...crank position sensor. Car will start when cold, but dies when warm. Not too hard to replace. Have heard that it may not throw a code. Speaking of which, any check engine light?
Nope, replaced that along with the camshaft position sensor. I've just about had it with this car.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

The only thing you have not mentioned in what codes you have seen.
Any codes? Check the trans as well as the engine. What are you using to pull codes?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a random misfire detected. I'm using a basic OBDII scanner and I have a bluetooth OBD which I use through Torque Pro on my tablet. The trans seems to be fine considering it will even die in park, doesn't seem to matter what gear or any of that.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What work did you have done BEFORE this started happening?

I think a vag-com will be a great asset here and probably would have saved you a large amount of money in parts already.

A very large vacuum leak or throttle body alignment? Just throwing out some random guesses based on what you eliminated already.

Where are you located? Maybe someone with a Vag-Com is nearby?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SixthGearCars
Just a random misfire detected. I'm using a basic OBDII scanner and I have a bluetooth OBD which I use through Torque Pro on my tablet. The trans seems to be fine considering it will even die in park, doesn't seem to matter what gear or any of that.
So no codes in the trans control unit? Can you scanner pull them?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SixthGearCars
Nope, replaced that along with the camshaft position sensor. I've just about had it with this car.
WTF? What else aren't you telling us? You said: "It has new: fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel injectors, coil pack, ignition wires, spark plugs, new O2 sensors."

Then someone suggests a CPS and you come up with it and the camshaft position sensor too?

Board is not Hercule Poirot geared to come to a conclusion with incomplete information.

And BTW…new CPS has been known to fail infant failure, as are all electronic modules.
W/O a Vag-Com you're just shooting in the dark. Don't rule out an intermittent CPS failure.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

okay here comes the really dumb question .... when it died did you verify spark ?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
WTF? What else aren't you telling us? You said: "It has new: fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel injectors, coil pack, ignition wires, spark plugs, new O2 sensors."

Then someone suggests a CPS and you come up with it and the camshaft position sensor too?

Board is not Hercule Poirot geared to come to a conclusion with incomplete information.

And BTW…new CPS has been known to fail infant failure, as are all electronic modules.
W/O a Vag-Com you're just shooting in the dark. Don't rule out an intermittent CPS failure.
I was simply stating all the parts that were fuel/spark related. I have replaced nearly every sensor on this car.
Here's the entire list:
Used ECU(reprogrammed at Audi)
Used TCU from same year/model car
New Crank position sensor
New Camshaft position sensor
New O2 sensors all of them
Used ABS control module
Used gauge cluster
New fuel rail
New injectors
New coil pack
New ignition wires
New NGK spark plugs
New air filter
New fuel filter
New Bosch fuel pump
New catalytic converters
New fuel cap(simple yet is known to cause issues in some cars)
New brakes
Oil change: 1000mi ago
Trans fluid flush: 2000mi ago
Timing belt change: 15k ago
New valve cover gaskets
New front axle (passenger side)
New MAF sensor

The car has 176k and I've spent well into 3-4k on it in parts. I just want it to run right so I can sell it and cut my losses. As it is I can barely get 2300 for the car. No one seems to want a tan 99 audi wagon with the 2.8

Also, update: got the car to start but it still wants to cut out at times. I haven't tried to drive it yet and don't want to unless I must. AAA doesn't like too many towing calls in a year.

Quick Reply: Need URGENT help. 99 2.8L Avant keeps stalling