A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Chicago S6 owner, ex-S4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Chicago S6 owner, ex-S4 owner

Hello AW-
I had been on the B5S4 forums before under the name TheYearAfter S4, and had fun with my old vehicle, but recently bailed. I am a drummer in a band (www.theyearafter.com) and really wanted a wagon to haul my crap around, but didn't want to sacrifice power/luxury. Searched for an Avant S4, but came across my new beauty.... '03 S6 (w/ warranty). I am really excited about it, and its potential.

My post here has two purposes -
1- to announce my arrival (and *upgrade* some may say).
2- to ask a question about the tranny.

The S4 had a 6spd, and a 5spd A4 1.8T before that. been a LONG time since i've been driving an auto. I spent some time searching the forums regarding cold behaviors of the tranny, but have not found what i am looking for....

I live in the city, and drive in stop/go traffic to and from work. the auto is NICE for this, but not recently in the mornings, when it's ***** cold outside. I've let the car warm up, but when i leave my house (immediately into traffic), there are a couple of issues.

A) The tranny feels like it is slipping sometimes before it will engage into gear (after being stopped). when it does engage, it is usually with a very hard jerk.
B) sometimes, while stopped, the car feels like it engages the tranny, and i will see the RPM's dip way low, and even once (today) it died at a stoplight (similar to keeping the brake on and letting off the clutch).
C) today, also, when starting from a stoplight, it slipped then jerked and then went into "fail safe mode" (according to the manual) where all the letters where highlighted (PRNDS). I pulled over, and re-started the car and it went back to normal mode.

Now, all of this seems to go away after a little while (like 15-20 mins of city driving), but is super frustrating, especially with my morning commute. I dont drive hard AT ALL for this commute, especially in the beginning (probably habit from letting the 2.7T warm up) Is there a known issue that these symptoms are associated with, or possibly tips to get this auto trans warmed up in the morning to overcome these probs? I am planning on getting the ATF changed, hoping that will help. If that does not fix the problem, then will get it checked out very soon at dealer (under warranty).

anyway, nice to meet everyone here, and i am pumped about re-joining up under a different forum. anyone from Chicago- GO BEARS!!!!!!

thanks
josh
www.theyearafter.com

SIG to come....
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hmm...Sounds like a bad tranny if you ask me...

Do you have a VAG COM? Maybe yuou can find out if it is throwing any codes. If you do not have the VAG COM cable, I'm sure one of the local Chicago guys will come to help you out with that.

Regardless, it is not normal behavior for the tiptronic. The only thing I notice when cold is taht it will hold 1st gear a bit longer if I don't warm upt he car, and maybe a slightly harsher shift to 2nd the 1st time through, but no issues with low RPM or constant hard shifts, limp mode, etc. etc.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 AM

Anyone else have a jerk when ****fing from P to D? Only happens during cold starts..
Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Default it doesn't just happen when shifting from P to D, happens when stoped at light and stayed in D

i am fearing the worst. I actually JUST picked up the car on friday, and have driven it about 100 miles total. I purchased the warranty, but have the "warranty inspection" today. If it passes, then the car will remain mine, but if it fails that (and the trans might cause that), then the warranty is void, and they will buy back the car and the warranty. I hope that it goes through, and then i will hit them up for a new trans with in the first week of ownership. If they replace it, is this a good thing, or potentiall a bad thing, as it have been through major work.... the way i look at it is that it will be a brand new tranny, so, it's good.

thoughts?

josh
Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Fear the Miata!

Default glad you're here....all the cool chicago kids hang out here------->

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/lrqc/">chicago forum</a></li></ul>
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make sure the car is warmed up if you want to keep the car. It sounds to me like problems w/ the TC

torque converter and/or fluid issues. The tip trannys are known weak spots and Audi calls the fluid lifetime, but ZF (who makes the tranny) says that is crap and it needs to be changed. It's a tought DIY, and many dealers will not change the fluid unless there are other issues with the tranny. The filter MUST be changed with the fluid, or problems WILL ensue. This won't just go away and it sounds like when the fluid is cold, the issue manifests itself due to the viscosity increase of the cold fluid. Make sure you get someone who has changed ATF on a VAG car before; it is a very special fluid that runs about $15/liter and most places want like $300 to do this fluid change. On the other hand, let Aamco or Car-X do it and they can buy you a new tranny...search the archives for more info on the fluid change.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Have them inspect it. If they claim that the trans is ok (which it obviously isn't)

then return it back. If they find something wrong and replace it i say keep it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Welcome, You'll love the S6. I may have an MTM chip & ecu available, stay tooned.

Pun intended

I never had any of those tranny with my '02. I'd have a dealer check it out.

Recommended VAG changes:
-00034 transmission - more aggressive shift pattern and paddles always on, no need to move shift selector to manual slot
-auto door lock/unlock

Read Soney's tips/fact guide for the C5 body

Enjoy, Jim
Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Default My 02 S6 exhibits none of those symptoms in any weather... (and)

be real careful about what gets covered by warranty/the seller here... I'm no expert but I remember reading somewhere this is a $10,000 transmission. S6 a great car but if you're not CERTAIN someone else is going to pay for the repair I'd walk from that car...there are others.

just my two cents. Oh... and GO BEARS! (In DC now...but grew up out there)
Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Many of the 4.2 and S6 owners have replaced our transmission including myself.

I would have it replaced, especially after the fail safe mode.

I only lost reverse gear. The new one is great, going from 2nd to first I can feel a kick, but its otherwise as good as its gonna get for a 7 year old car with 78K miles (I have a 2000 4.2).

Mine was covered under warranty 2 summers back. Good luck oh and welcome to Chicago, I live here too

Cheers!

Quick Reply: New Chicago S6 owner, ex-S4 owner