A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

new filter required for transmission service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new filter required for transmission service?

Called my indy mechanic about setting up a time for a 60K service to include a transmission oil change. He said that they can remove all oil from the transmission, replace with new oil, all without opening up the case. I asked about changing the filter in there and he said that they don't change it, that it's just a metal screen and does not have to be replaced. From what i've read here, changing the filter is as important as changing the oil. What do you think?

Thanks

J
Old 11-04-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Would definately replace filter....

I am going to do this service myself (my dealer quoted me $800+). From all the postings that I have read on AW about this everyone said that their filter needed replacing as well. I bought a filter and gasket from blauparts.com for around $35 I think.
Would you change your motor oil without changing the filter? Also when you pull the pan you can clean the magnets...gives you an indication of wear...
How much did you dealer quote you just to change the oil?
Good Luck...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Would definately replace filter....

That's my feeling as well. I'm still waiting on a quote from him. He did my 50K service and I was happy with the whole experience.....
Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Definitely replace the filter. I just replaced the atf and filter

for my Passat 2.8 V6, and it's a breeze. The hardest part is getting the car on the jack stands. It is a messy job, so have lots of newspaper/paper towels/old towels ready. Be sure to buy the replacement drain plug and fill plug O-ring.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Find a new indy.

The pan should be dropped and cleaned out along with the magnets. The filter should be replaced, too. In addition, it's an overnight job just to make sure all the tranny oil is drained. After all the oil is drained, it's another couple of hours to make sure the tranny is filled to the proper level. This should cost between $250 - $300 at a good indy mech.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definitely NOT just a screen. VERY important to change the filter. You are asking for big $

trouble if you don't change the screen. I agree with a62.7t4ceo, find someone else. They obviously don't know what they're talking about and you could do more harm than good by goin to them. If they don't use the Pentosin fluid, your tranny is toast.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:00 AM

Default update: mechanic not happy with my AT service questions

I asked him that I would prefer an AT service that included removingand cleaning the pan, replacing the filter as well as the fluid. He said he would do it if thats what I wanted, and faxed me a quote ($120 labour, ~$85 parts). I followed up with an email, asking him to confirm the part numbers with me (AT filter kit and fluid) plus included a link to A6AvantRay's page (http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html) for reference.
He replied saying that he now isn't interested in performing the job. WTF? I don't think I was asking too much, I just wanted some peace of mind before I drop $500+ for an AT service + a 60K service. I'm kind of dumbfounded that he dosn't want my business. Anyways, I contacted another indy and he said no worries to the AT service. Guess he'll be getting my business from now on!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Your indy just realized that his fancy tranny fluid flush machine is filled with Dexron III/Mercon

fluid and you're likely smart enough to realize that when the tranny dies after he fills it with the wrong fluid, you'll come back to him...my guess anyways. The profit margin on the tranny flush is high, as it's a quick job if you don't drop the pan. Doing that can sometimes open a can of worms and most places don't want to bother with it. You're likely better off going elsewhere. These ZF trannys are not like the ones off the detroit iron.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Also, many of these "services" offered by shops (like tranny fluid flush) are not invented to make

your car last longer - they are invented to increase profit per customer. Thus, stuff like coolant recycling and the tranny fluid-only flush aren't that good for your car, but are good for the shop's bottom line. I'm not saying they are out to screw you, but I would never advocate someone getting just a fluid flush; changing the filter is vital. Fresh fluid + clogged filter = fried tranny due to oil starvation, and new fluid dissolves old varnish and gunk and can rapidly clog the filter.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can't agree more.

Quick Reply: new filter required for transmission service?