A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New head unit installed, no rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New head unit installed, no rear speakers

Hello everyone. I purchased a new Kenwood head unit from Crutchfield last week due to issues with my factory unit. The kit came with the appropriate wiring harness for my non-bose equipped car. I plugged the wiring harness for the rear speakers into the pre-amp RCA plugs on the back of the radio, and the front are wired directly to the head unit. When I play a CD, the rear speakers pop twice, then play at a lower volume than the front. When I try to use the radio or bluetooth streaming functions of the unit, I only get sound from the front speakers. I have checked my wiring, and it looks to be in order. When I plug the old unit back in, I have normal balanced sound through all speakers. They did send me the wrong antenna adapter which did not have the power trigger wire. Is there something simple I'm missing here? Thanks for your help. The car is a 2001 A6 2.8 w/out bose.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken, the rear speakers are still amplified even though it's a non-BOSE unit. Perhaps the amp is expecting a stronger signal than the unadulterated one supplied by the pre-amps on your unit.

Try connecting directly to the unit, at low volume. See what happens.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Justinsarver
Hello everyone. I purchased a new Kenwood head unit from Crutchfield last week due to issues with my factory unit. The kit came with the appropriate wiring harness for my non-bose equipped car. I plugged the wiring harness for the rear speakers into the pre-amp RCA plugs on the back of the radio, and the front are wired directly to the head unit. When I play a CD, the rear speakers pop twice, then play at a lower volume than the front. When I try to use the radio or bluetooth streaming functions of the unit, I only get sound from the front speakers. I have checked my wiring, and it looks to be in order. When I plug the old unit back in, I have normal balanced sound through all speakers. They did send me the wrong antenna adapter which did not have the power trigger wire. Is there something simple I'm missing here? Thanks for your help. The car is a 2001 A6 2.8 w/out bose.
make sure you have the remote for the amp connected.... put it on the ACC for testing purposes.... do you have a pic of the wire harness they sent... some of them is not correctly wired sometimes you have to shift the pins around
Old 09-08-2012, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by justbecause
make sure you have the remote for the amp connected.... put it on the ACC for testing purposes.... do you have a pic of the wire harness they sent... some of them is not correctly wired sometimes you have to shift the pins around
I'll have to take it apart and take a few pictures. Its confusing to me that the rear speaker work with a CD, but with nothing else. The head unit works in another vehicle, so its not it, and the factory system in the Audi was functioning properly before, so it almost has to be something related to the trigger wire. I have not connected the amplified antenna adapter yet, but that shouldn't affect anything should it?