A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Install: Passport 8500 Direct Wire (new way)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try it...you will see

The owner's manual for the dectector does say the same thing (you should not put it behind the wipers, heavy tinted windows, etc) for the best results. BUT, when I try it on known radar spots in both locations, I get the same exact results (I am a bit of an **** person when it comes to testing). The radar goes off at the same pickup location, and the same strenth. In some instances, it worked even better up top (cresting a hill especially).

You do have me second guessing myself though, and I will retry the test again and posts results and/or pictures if I am able to take them while driving.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. Look at Boston Driver's reply and my reply too

I'll let you know if I make changes after looking at it again.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Take a look at the 2nd picture in my tech article...

you can see the A-pillar opened up and the airbag. I think you might be right, in that the wire running along the forward edge of the A-pillar will probably not interfere with the airbag, but I for one decided that it is better safe than sorry.

What if there is a bit of slack in the radar wire? It might loosen in the cavity and may interfere with the airbag. I would not chance it, especially since i know how to take those damn things off now.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec95.shtml">Boston Driver's handsfree kit tech article</a></li></ul>
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Default based on known radar sources, your tests are inconclusive. Be careful about reducing or nullifying

LIDAR too. I mount mine under the rear-view mirror.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Take a look at the 2nd picture in my tech article...

I definately hear where you are coming from, and used your tech article as well as others coming to my decision.

There is no slack in the wire, as it is taught between the detector and turn points. The wire is snug between the A-Pillar and dash, and snugged down by the fuse panel.

I will 100% double check and see if I want to take out the pillar to tie down.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:01 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since you're not using the remote mute button, why not just tap into the sunroof power?

...to avoid running all that wire?

Either way, nice job. Cool that it's as stealth as it is.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Anyone else test theirs that is above the rear view?

If so, please let me know. I will run more tests as well.

As far as being inconclusive, I do agree I did not do a scientific study, but using fixed radar of known "falses" is definately the best way to go as the signal is constant.

I will keep on testing and see. No use in having a $300 detector if it is no good to me anyway!

Any others who tested would be great.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also, in Jersey you could get a ticket for having it there

The police have and do give tickets for having anything in line of sight (radars, parking passes hanging on rear view, etc).

Not like it is common, but it does happen. Also, below the rear view it is in easy view for police and thieves.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Since you're not using the remote mute button, why not just tap into the sunroof power?

I thought about that, but worried about tapping into something like that. Would have been easier though.
I was also not sure if there was power to that at different times (becuase they sunroof could be closed when the ignition is off using the key).
Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, the power's always there - very basic mod. Lots of good how to's on it..

But looks like you are already set. Again, nice work!

Quick Reply: New Install: Passport 8500 Direct Wire (new way)