A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Install: Passport 8500 Direct Wire (new way)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alternative Wiring

I just did this mod to both my '99 Avant and wife's 2002 Avant. I too had wanted to wire it into the sunroof wiring, like I had done on numerous previous Audis and other brands, but found there wasn't a circuit that was switched with the ignition. In Stoneys links I found the way to hook it into the home link wire in the drivers visor, and it couldn't have been easier. Don't know how prevalent the home link option is, but both of our cars have it. Really, really easy and you don't have to mess with the A pillar issue.

I just took out the screw for the visor, gently twisted the bracket out of the hole and exposed the four wires. Two are for the mirror and aren't switched, the other two are for the homelink. Once identified I tapped into the hot and ground wires, dropped some solder on the connection, taped them up and put everything back. I was able to easily feed the power wire through the inside of the windshield trim and out to the top edge of where it meets the windshield. Ran it over to the detector and then tucked the excess into the header trim. Took all of five minutes.

I have my detector just below the rear view mirror. I would have liked to get it up above but there wasn't much room and I was concerned about the tint issue and rearward sensitivity. Also, if you have it up there could you velcro it to the top of the mirror and not have to deal with the suction cups? I have used this method on other cars with good luck, although I have had to super glue the velcro to the detector in some cases.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 PM

Default The 8500 has such good range that

even going through tint doe not effect it that much. On my lexus the windshield is tinted in a fully metalized 32% film and I get near the same range as I did without it. On my A6 the windshiel has 50% tint and a 15% sun strip both metalized film which the radar detector sits behind and I still get excelent range. I can still detect them before thay can see me which is good enough for me.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Alternative Wiring

That does sound good. Do you keep a fuse between the wiring and the radar though?

I did not want to attach it to the rear view, becuase sometimes my wife will drive and move the mirror.

Also, take a look at the rear "line of sight" if you are above the mirror...better actually.

No drop in sensitivity so far either...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Middle sun visor removal

Great install! I want to try it, but am confused about the removal of the middle sun visor. Can you explain how to do that?
TIA
Old 06-14-2005, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default why spend $3-400 on a detector for that extra sensitivity

and risk reducing i t's range...seems like a bad idea to me
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Plus,on high speeds the distance behind tint that AntRadar will see radar might be not enough=Ticket
Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 PM

Default I think I know what it is! Just remembered that

I did a hardwire kit similar to you, except that I tapped power off of the visor light. Whenever I have the car on listening to the radio, and then start the car a bit later, the power draw/drop from the battery not being able to keep up sometimes triggers the Laser alert. I believe this is most likely an undervoltage condition that the 8500 doesn't like?

Don't know if this is exactly what you are experiencing, but I'm wondering how old your battery is? Getting colder out and the old CCA's may just not be up to snuf, especially if you have your 8500 power on as soon as you turn the key to accessory (as in the case just before you start the car up).

Either that or check the circuit that you tapped power off and try another. Just my uneducated guesses here