A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Skid Plate Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the links! 200+ is robbery, 82 is more then fair
Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just throw the thing away. there useless, annoying, and keep you from seeing oil and coolant leaks easily. They constantly are coming apart dragging under people cars. We have a big mountain of them outside our shop, only the ones in good shape are left on. I get tired of the beat up ones flying off and folding up under the car for a mile, and people blaming us for it because we were the last ones to work on it.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
just throw the thing away. there useless, annoying, and keep you from seeing oil and coolant leaks easily. They constantly are coming apart dragging under people cars. We have a big mountain of them outside our shop, only the ones in good shape are left on. I get tired of the beat up ones flying off and folding up under the car for a mile, and people blaming us for it because we were the last ones to work on it.
sorry will disagree, they can help (albeit marginally) with fuel economy and road noise. the ducting also helps direct air up and over the transmission housings.

for only 82 theres no reason to have it on the car. the only reasons these pans ever break are stupid shops that dont install them right after service or are too lazy.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Try ECS tuning. You might need the whole kit including fasteners, etc. The previous owner clearly scraped some curbs or parking lot dividers.

I suspect your part is this one:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...ly_Pan/ES4274/
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I also disagree. They were put there for a reason by the factory for cooling and dirt/crap protection to the serpentine belt and splash/dirt protection for other stuff under ther.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol ill let you know if i ever hear of a car having an issue with them being removed. I wont, and dont expect to. There is no road noise difference i can tell and mileage, lol ok, maybe half a mile to the gallon at the most on highway only. And air direction? if its not there plenty of air will make its way up, probably alot more than the tiny openings on the shield, which are probably there because the shield blocks too much air flow. Mercedes and BMW's have full underbody shields with NO vents. I dont thinks thats an issue. Ill bet probaly 75% of Audis of this vintage on the road dont have them, and are fine. But what ever, waste your time and look foolish and duct tape it up to the car thinking it has some purpose. hey theres nothing wrong with getting a new one, but seriously, take your beat up one off. before it comes flying off and hits somebody behind you.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Disagree. Its better to remove a damaged one but it should be replaced. Hopefully you don't tell customers that their engine contained 3 extra, unnecessary bolts after an engine service.

What you and I don't know is how Audi used wind tunnel data to understand and design air flow and cooling through the engine compartment via the skid plate at various speeds.

Last edited by Dr_Evil; 08-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
lol ill let you know if i ever hear of a car having an issue with them being removed. I wont, and dont expect to. There is no road noise difference i can tell and mileage, lol ok, maybe half a mile to the gallon at the most on highway only. And air direction? if its not there plenty of air will make its way up, probably alot more than the tiny openings on the shield, which are probably there because the shield blocks too much air flow. Mercedes and BMW's have full underbody shields with NO vents. I dont thinks thats an issue. Ill bet probaly 75% of Audis of this vintage on the road dont have them, and are fine. But what ever, waste your time and look foolish and duct tape it up to the car thinking it has some purpose. hey theres nothing wrong with getting a new one, but seriously, take your beat up one off. before it comes flying off and hits somebody behind you.
wow dude, this might fly in the VW world (where i suspect your from) but on my 40K+ dollar car, i want every part on it.

unless you work at audi, a rival german car company, or NASA you really have no room to comment on the efficacy of the shield. i know for a FACT that the ducting is specifically there to help cool the transmission. look at the casting on the housing, it is finned in the area of the duct, ie was made to have air flow directed over it for heat transfer.

I also have ZERO idea why you are so dead set against the shields, yes on a track car they are a PITA, but on a daily driver, who cares? they obviously serve an important function otherwise why would audi wast so much money putting them on? seriously i dont think the bean counters were just like, yeah what the hell, lets eat into our profit margins with this useless piece of plastic.

Are you telling me engineers cant convince accountants to use engine studs rather then bolts from a cost point, but they can convince them to use a useless piece of plastic?

for 82 dollars i see no reason not to keep the car stock,

fyi i DONT have my shield on my car, but i do have it, im too lazy to put it on, but i do believe there are benefits to it
Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I have ordered the new belly pan, but I do need to know what fasteners and screws, and how many of each I need to mount this correctly to my car. Anyone know where I can find the screws and clips and how many of each that I need?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigshotking
Well I have ordered the new belly pan, but I do need to know what fasteners and screws, and how many of each I need to mount this correctly to my car. Anyone know where I can find the screws and clips and how many of each that I need?

Thanks
ECS tuning carry's all of them, just wait till the pan arrives then check to see whats missing. like others have said, your not killing anything driving around without it

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate Help