A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Struts/shocks to improve soft ride for low mileage 01 A6 Avant Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Struts/shocks to improve soft ride for low mileage 01 A6 Avant Quattro

I have a low mileage (55,000 miles) 2001 A6 Avant Quattro in excellent condition. Although the car is 10 years old, the rebound on the struts/shocks is fine. But with two BMWs in the garage I am used to a sportier ride and would like to improve the 'soft' ride of the wagon.
A couple of questions: What mfr. is the OEM brand for the struts/shocks?
What would be the recommendation for a replacement: Bilstein HD or Koni Reds? I want to keep the original springs and not change the ride height, so I think the koni yellows might be out.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Shocks are a terrible way to improve handling. You wind up with:

1. mismatch between spring and damper
2. no noticeable improvement in weight transfer, steering response etc.
3. no benefit from lower COM.

I strongly suggest you either:

1. leave it alone if they are not worn.
2. put in a well matched spring/strut set from, say, eibach, on its highest setting (which will be lower but well within acceptable alignment range).

OEM is Sachs

if you must consider Bilstein HD, but all you'll really do is get a harsher ride with no real handling improvement.

G
Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That previous statement is so untrue. Shocks are the single most important element to making a car handle.

When you say "soft ride" that is however pointing toward springs. The combination is however important. But you can overcome some characteristics with different valving with shocks leaving ereything else the same.

IMHO from 20+ years of road racing experience....
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could also go with a set of S6 springs & dampers, however they will also lower your ride height. The sport suspension used in the S6 will lower the car about 20mm, the Eibach ProKit will lower it by 30mm. Eibach ProKit + Koni Sport shocks is going to be A LOT cheaper than a new OEM S6 suspension. Used is always an option but you'll probably end up buying shocks that are worn more than your current ones.

You could also look at replacing your sway bars with a set of Hotchkis. If your current suspension is in good working order this is going be your biggest back for the buck upgrade in terms of handling. It won't do anything for the "soft" ride in terms of bump absorption, but it will dramatically reduce body roll and tighten steering response when cornering.

There's a JHM group buy for the Hotchkis bars right now, $390 + shipping for the full set. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ar-Buy-In-Deal

You'd probably be looking at about $1100 in parts for a full replacement (shocks/springs/sways) + labour and alignment. The difference in feel would be substantial.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 12-13-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I like Koni yellow (sport) shocks on an early 2K4.2A6. No sport suspension was available on the 2K 4.2 A6.
One thing...replace the rear upper shock mounts. You won't be happy having to redo them in 5-10K miles when the Konis destroy the upper shock mounts and the shaft/nut bangs against the aluminum castings...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I like Koni yellow (sport) shocks on an early 2K4.2A6. No sport suspension was available on the 2K 4.2 A6.
I'll let you know how much I like them next week Koni Sport + Eibach ProKit + H-Sport sways set for install on Monday

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
One thing...replace the rear upper shock mounts. You won't be happy having to redo them in 5-10K miles when the Konis destroy the upper shock mounts and the shaft/nut bangs against the aluminum castings...
Was this in reference to the OP with the avant or just in general?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best define "soft". Does the chassis float when recovering from bumps (high and low speed valving)? Does road chatter make the car unstable (high speed valving)? Does the chassis roll too much in turns (low speed valving, swaybars)?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Recent Bilstein experience + different ideas

Finally did the struts all the way around on my 2000 4.2 w/ non sport suspension (as prior poster said, sport suspension wasn't even an option in 2000) in the past 60 days, and some sway bar tweaks from years ago I will describe below. Also replaced all the control arm stuff with the strut changeout.

Used Bilstein HD's that I bought years ago; thus stock ride height. Night and day difference, once I also got it aligned that is. I knew the old OEM shocks were shot, albeit no leaks. I know the ride when it was new too having bought it literally off the showroom floor, and it's a pleasant change. Original new ride was jiggly on the one hand w/ the 255/40's found on most 4.2's, yet soft and "Buicky" in the twisties. Several people--adults and kids--basically got car sick when the car was near new and they would ride in back. No more.

Also, having found the torn up belly pan and the dented oil pan (due in part to the yet poorer shock performance in past year or too), I opted against any lowering. I could have pursued it w/ some sport springs and perches I have, or by machining the Bilstein C clip groove that locates the spring perches, but opted not to. Good choice in my mind having put it back together and now enjoying the ride. I want the incremental snow clearance too.

Other suggestion: sway bars. Having been through this on my 4.2, if you want to tighten up the suspension the equivalent of about a notch, change the sway bars. With a non sport Avant you could step up to a sport or S6 level easily. Rear bar is more important than the front, and an incrementally stiifer rear bar will dial out some typical Audi understeer too. Won't be wild by any means, but will get a bit more neutral. While others may not like hearing this, having used the H Sports, I moved on. The rear bar outright broke, which needless to say I consider just plain dangerous. Have never seen a broken sway bar on an Audi before. Hotchkis didn't stand behind it either--routine post warranty blow off. Front H bar was prone to squeak and have end bolts at the links come loose. And, yes having done 10+ bars in my life, this was not "operator error." Went back to my OEM sport bars some years back and am much happier. Now with the Bilstein HD's and the cleaned up control arms and such, I'm very happy with it, and more so than new.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-13-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To respond to the inquiry about 'soft' ride,there is nothing inherently wrong with the suspension,the car has no wear on it, only 55K miles, one owner (older couple). It is just the stock feel which I would like to make more like my BMWs-- a 2004 X5 and a 2011 335. A start would be to replace the cheaper OEM Sachs

As I understand it, rebound and dive can be controlled by the choice of dampers without changing springs. Maybe not roll, though.

Further to other comments, yellow konis are not recommended if you want to keep the stock springs because the travel in those dampers is shorter than Bilstein HDs or Koni Reds and they will overextend given the stock springs if you ever 'catch air.' That is why they are hitting the shock mounts SloopJohn.

Keep the discussion going...
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default alignment?

MP4, did the installation of the Bilstein HDs require an alignment? or was that something that had to be done independent of the shock/strut installation?

Quick Reply: New Struts/shocks to improve soft ride for low mileage 01 A6 Avant Quattro