A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New tires for my A6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires for my A6

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T that came with the Dunlop 9000 series tires. I have 20,000 on the car and have nicked a curb causing a small bulge in my right front tire wall.

I assume I need to replace all four tires. The local tire chain (Les Schwab) suggested a number of lower cost / lower performance options, and offered the Toyo Proxi T1S as a comparable option. They want $209.53/tire (total of $890.12 mounted, balanced, etc...).

I am not a hi-performance driver, but I don't like the idea of putting lower performance tires on the vehicle than I am used to. Is the Toyo a good product? Is that a reasonable price? It's a convienent location, so it doesn't have to be the absolute best price as long as it's fair.

I enjoy my car, but am not nearly as auto/Audi knowledgable as most of you. Is there another option I should consider?

I just moved from San Francisco to Portland, OR, but they tell me that, short of trips to the mountains, winter tires aren't really nessesary here.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 12-05-2002, 12:26 PM

Default I like the LesSchwab service, and their batteries, but stay away from their tires.

I always considered them inferior, for some reason. I never have had any experience with Toyo, but I understand them to be popular with smaller Japanese cars, not larger performance cars. Personally, I've been pleased with the price/service I've gotten from Discount Tire.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S has been popular with the A6 as it performs well in all 3 seasons, and not too bad in the 4th, and wears well, especially when compared to the SO3. The Bridgstone SO3 does excellent in the dry and wet, but wears quite quickly.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:28 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tirerack is a terrific source of info. Good prices and service, too.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com">http://www.tirerack.com</a</li></ul>
Old 12-05-2002, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do you really need four new tires?

I know its important to maintain common diameters on your tires for quattro but is there that much of a difference in tread depth between the three tires on the car and a new tire? I don't know what the spec is but I'd think you could get away with just replacing the one tire.

FYI . . . I blew a tire at 18K on my '00 S4 and Audi replaced it under "warranty". There was no concern on their part about three old and one new.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Toyo Proxes T1-S's are excellent tires... not at all "cheap". They're raced on exclusively in...

the Speedvision WC series. Galati just won a championship on his Toyo's. Most claim they're comparable to Bridgestone S03s.

They're useless, however, in the snow... as any summer tire would be. (Good in rain, if that makes a difference. =)
Old 12-05-2002, 01:04 PM

Default Re: New tires for my A6

I live in Portland also and am a firm believer in having both summer and winter tires. While it is true it doesn't snow much here (and has been VERY dry so far this year), we do get occassional ice in the early morning hours. I live at 700 foot elevation and the mist/fog that forms overnight freezes on the road. Try to drive on it before the sun rises and you will understand the meaning of black ice. My first winter here, I slid down a 35% grade about 1000 feet in a BMW M3. Frightened doesn't describe the experience. Luckily, it was early, few people park on the road where I live and I had the road to myself. Nothing bad resulted. I immediately put winter tires on the car.

I bought a second set of A6 4.2 sport rims and a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2's in 255/40-17 through America's Tire in Tigard, OR. The package was around $1900. The rims were takes offs, had some brake dust, old balance weights and very minor scratches but very acceptable for winter use. They are on the car now. Frankly, the winter tires handle better in the wet and cold than the stock Conti's. Haven't had ice to test them yet.

You can replace just the one damaged tire but I believe in doing at least a pair (same axle) if not all four.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 12-05-2002, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at Stoney's FAQ.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Toyo Proxes T1-S's are excellent tires...

but very loudas they wear!! i had them handle great but supr loud... if you like quiet do not buy them...
Old 12-05-2002, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not that good of a price...

I was quoted $804 at my local tire outlet for 4 T1S mounted and balanced. These are not low performance tires, quite the opposite. They are not all-season so I wouldn't drive them in snow.

Did you get a full size spare with your car? If so, you could mount it in place of the bad wheel. Depending on how much tread you have left on the mounted tires I wouldn't think the diameter would be significant enough to cause a problem.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:30 PM

Default Re: I recommend All Season tires for Portland

Since Portland gets a lot of rain, rare but occasional snow and cooler summers, I recommend you search the Tire Rack for All season tires that fit your wheels and have good wear. They will have slightly less performance than summer tires but you are not a performance fanatic anyway.

Quick Reply: New tires for my A6