A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

NEWS: Info on the PSK Soprts package on the 2.7T.... (looong)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2000, 07:58 AM
Reto S

Default NEWS: Info on the PSK Soprts package on the 2.7T.... (looong)

I kinda got frustrated from the fact how many questions gat asked about the PSK sports package (with suspension modification) but no real numbers or facts where presented. I send an email to Audi Germany since I know the language and asked for specifics on the suspension. They where quick with an answer, but not what I expected. Basically I got referred to Audi USA (auditalk@audi.com). I asked them the same question again, below is the original question to them:

Hi,

I am looking currently into buying the A6 2.7T but have a question concerning the Sports package. In forums and discussion groups we read a lot of the new sports package, but nobody seems to exactly know what the fuss is about.

Audi originally introduced the A6 2.7T with the PSP sports package that includes the Z-rated tires and the sports seats. In December last year a newer version was added with the option code PSK. This sports package includes a sports suspension, but it is very unclear what Audi means with a "sports suspension".

If Audi USA has any specs or is able to provide any specs I would really appreciate it, since this would make my buying decision easier. Can you please explain the suspension modification with attributes like: lower, harder, wider, stiffer ... compared to the standard suspension? If the new susp. is lower, by how much?

With best regards,
Reto Sommer.

This is the reply I got:

Dear Reto:

Thank you for contacting Audi of America.

The sport package you refer to includes springs and shock absorbers which are about 30% stiffer--or harder--than standard ones. The suspension is lower by 2mm.

If you need more information on that suspension, please contact Audi Client Relations at (800) 822-2834 and choose option #3. They are available to discuss your concerns Monday through Friday from 9am to 7pm. EST.

If we can help in any other way, please write again.

Sincerely,

Marjorie
AudiTalk

Hope help you all,
Reto.
Old 02-17-2000, 08:30 AM
Brittney Spears

Thanks for the info. I wonder though if 30% stiffer suspension means 30% stiffer/harsher ride?
Old 02-17-2000, 10:59 AM
Steve R.

Default You could kinda tell from the price difference there wasn't much to the suspension changes.(more)

But at least it's factory installed; so it's covered under warranty.
Old 02-17-2000, 06:16 PM
Reto S

Default I doubt the 2mm lowering -> rather 20mm ?? Don't you think so?? (nt)

Old 02-17-2000, 10:58 PM
Eric

Default Re: I doubt the 2mm lowering -> rather 20mm ?? Don't you think so?? (nt)

The 4.2 is about 2/10" or 5mm lower than the 2.7T. So that could be right at 2mm. I think the S6 is only 11mm lower.
Old 02-17-2000, 11:40 PM
Brittney Spears

2mm is plenty... unless you want to look like one of those lowered Integra D$%kheads scraping the rd
Old 02-18-2000, 07:22 AM
Steve R.

2mm lower than stock on a 4.2 is correct.
Old 02-18-2000, 09:38 AM
Metric Canadian

Default 2mm = 0.079", 20mm = 0.79"

I'm still guessing they meant 20mm - as is the drop on the A4 sports package.

2mm is likely less than the variation from car to car just due to manufacturing differences in the springs. Even a change in temperature will move the car this much.

2mm is hardly plenty... its not even noticable.
Old 02-19-2000, 08:36 AM
Reto S

Default Thank you. It's like I am sitting in the car and than my wife (about 2mm too). (nt)

Old 02-19-2000, 05:42 PM
Frank C

Default Re: NEWS: Info on the PSK Soprts package on the 2.7T.... (looong)

I have a 2.7T w/PSK Sport Package coming in about 6 weeks. I believe it is a February production car. All 2.7's I've tested were non "sport suspension" Sport Suspensions and I'm VERY eager to learn of anyone's experience w/it. I think they started making the PSK in December so someone out there should just be getting their's around now.

As a sidenote, what a hard time I had finding one! I could've had any color I wanted and gotten it right away if it didn't have a sport package?! How come the dealers didn't order cars equipped like this. Didn't Audi explain that the 2.7T is the driver's variant thus making the Sport Package a popular one?

Sorry for ranting - I just can't wait to get the damn car (racing green/melange). Please let me know about your experience w/PSK - I am very optimistic since I didn't think the car was a slouch w/out it.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Info on the PSK Soprts package on the 2.7T.... (looong)