A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

No high beams, turn signals, fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my audi (when I owned it) a 2000 2.7T. Lost lights, turn signals, wipers etc. Dealer indicated it was a 'relay' that just went, they replaced it and back in business. I don't know if the stealership paperwork had any useful information on the specific relay though. Good luck.

p.s. I visit here once in a while and have to say, not a fan at ALL of the new format but I suppose once you get used to it it's OK...just like anything else
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Fixored. With big thanks to Mr Hansen for wiring diagram assistance.

The turn signal stalk was indeed unplugged. It must have happened when I telescoped the steering wheel all the way out to get to the cluster.

Either Audi made the wires a bit too short for "full scope" or I didn't position the harness correctly when I did the evaporator core a few years ago.

Regardless, a tug on the harness, a click, and ten minutes of effort and the car is good as new. Timing belt scheduled for the end of May.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great news! Odd that the hazards would be inoperable with the signal stalk unplugged, but glad it is fixed!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Guru

Hazards were working. Turn signals, front foglights, and high beams where not.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Oh, that's right...I meant fogs. Still odd that those were related to the stalk.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Guru

There is a relay in line with the front fogs that must be tripped to have the fogs on. Power to trip the relay is constant, but it finds ground through the positive side of the highbeam circuit. When the high beams are off, the relay sees enough ground to trip the relay and kick on the fogs. As soon as the highs come on, the same line is now hot instead of ground - hot to both side of the relay trigger means no relay trip, no fogs on.

Clear as mud?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Ah, yes, that makes sense, as the fogs do cut out with the high beams...I forgot about that one.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The turn signal stalk was indeed unplugged. It must have happened when I telescoped the steering wheel all the way out to get to the cluster.

Either Audi made the wires a bit too short for "full scope" or I didn't position the harness correctly when I did the evaporator core a few years ago.

Regardless, a tug on the harness, a click, and ten minutes of effort and the car is good as new. Timing belt scheduled for the end of May.
I believe the same thing has happened to me recently. high beam doesn't work, either do fog lights or turn signals. But the emergency flashers do work. Recently, I also did pull out the steering wheel relatively hard and might have caused the the turn signal stalk to be unplugged.
When you say a tug on the harness.. what do you mean? Would it be easier for me to remove the stock cover and make sure the turn signal is plugged in?

If not, what/how would you recommend I go about fixing same way?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Guru

I pulled the harness to make sure there weren't repeats of the same issue. Just pop the cover off; I think your diagnosis is correct. Just plug it back in.

Nice job searching too.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
This is a new one on me. The car has no turn signals, no high beams at any time, and the fog lights (front and rear) are non-functional. 4-way hazard flashers work fine. No power the fuses for the high beams and the fogs.
4D4 asking for help rather than dispensing it? THAT is a new one to me.

Wish I could help...

*edit* - just saw how old the thread was and didn't read it all the way through. My mistake...still shocked haha.

Quick Reply: No high beams, turn signals, fog lights