A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

No sedan... no stick shift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sedan... no stick shift?

I'm tired of waiting. Audi wants to bring over their super car as an automatic station wagon only? I guess the only option still in this country for a manually shifted V8 sedan will continue to be the 540/M5 from BMW. Congrats BMW, you have my business.

I hope the soccer moms love 340hp!!
Old 01-10-2001, 09:14 AM
uwg

S6 Avant is coming
Old 01-10-2001, 09:25 AM

Default In the US, aside from the S4, Audi's S-cars are a joke now...

It is obvious what is going on here.... Audi is being really cheap and trying to push people to other models. If you want a high-powered 6-speed wagon, you have to get the allroad... but that's a V6, really ugly (IMNSHO) and a joke of a car, despite being based on the A6. If you want a 6-speed sedan with some kick it is 2.7T or nothing... again, a V6 without the 4.2/S6 styling changes, which make the car look really great.

Hunt says they aren't bringing the sedan because the 4.2 fills that market already... well I don't know what market they are going after with performance cars with automatic transmissions, do you? Fine, hold the S6 sedan, but at least offer the 4.2 in a 6-speed to give the 540i some competition, and make the car a little more respectable. Also, bring the S6 with a 6-speed.

As for the S8 story, that is really a joke to me also... automatic only? Remember when Audi's S-cars were <b>manual</b> only? The UrS4/S6 was manual only and still have the best resale value of any Audi (ever sold? I think so...). If you wanted an automatic, you got the 100/A6.

I'm tired of hearing about regulations and emissions costs... Audi just had their best sales year ever in 2000 and I find it hard to believe that they could give market share and reputation up to sell more allroads, or use certification costs as an excuse. Plus, I don't buy anything about a transmission change causing so much expense for a manufacturer (although I don't really know) ... even Audi has four S4 configurations in the US (sedan tip/sedan 6-speed, avant tip/avant 6-speed). So they can't bring the 6-speed 4.2 and S6 avant here?

Pretty darn stupid if you ask me... of course, you're one who actually would probably buy a S6 sedan 6-speed (or 4.2, I assume) if they offered it... and many others are out there I'm sure.
Old 01-10-2001, 09:26 AM

I think he knows that already.
Old 01-10-2001, 09:38 AM
RSC
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hunt got scared after watching Ronin, worried that we'll all drive like that :-)
Old 01-10-2001, 09:51 AM

Default Re: I can certainly understand everyones frustration regarding

a lack of a 6 speed S6 however, in my everyday driving needs, a TIP is what I want to own.

As for the S6 Avant and no S6 sedan, Audi has fulfilled my wish. I was really close to buying an S8 but I'm going to wait for the S6 Avant now.

Different stroke for different folks.

My .02

Audi A6 4.2
Black / Van. Onx.
Old 01-10-2001, 09:53 AM

Default I agree. It's a really frustrating shame that Audi can ...

do so much right in offering manuals in their A4/S4 and some of the A6 line but then do so much wrong in refusing to offer manuals in their V8s and bigger, more upscale cars, at least here in the U.S. This is all the more frustrating because Audi already has such manuals in their European models but, so far, refuses to bring them over to the U.S.

If and when I want to "move up" from my current A6 2.7T, which I generally enjoy, I, too, would look elsewhere (back to BMW or to ???) to find the manual that I want.
Old 01-10-2001, 10:03 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Rmg1, where ya been, you need to run that 4.2 of yours

Email me at joseph_stuesser@transcom.sony.com.
I'm going to Carlsbad , you need to get some time slips for that sled!!!
Old 01-10-2001, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Damn...I was hoping not to hear this ...

I just read the news that Audi was bringing the S6 Avant to the US. Great I thought, maybe I can look at upgrading from my S4. Real shame they are not bringing the sedan but at least I can check out the Avant !!

BUT, not to have the option of a manual transmission really, really stinks. What a waste. Personally I would never buy an automatic performance car. The reason I love the S4 is because if has great power and IT's manual. What is the big deal with bringing over a manual S6 sedan/avant ???
Old 01-10-2001, 10:12 AM

I'll see you on the road with my a6. Don't blink or you might miss me! ;-)

Quick Reply: No sedan... no stick shift?