A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Notes and tips for control arm replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notes and tips for control arm replacements

So I just finished replacing all the control arms on my S6. What a complete PITA! For the first side, I followed the excellent tech article on this site. It was pretty much right on for most things. I did have to drop both the shock/spring cartridge assy from above to get at the upper bolts and also had to lower the subframe to get the lower rear arm bolt out. In fact, I had to loosen both the rear and middle bolt to the subframe to lower it enough, very tight access. Audi didn't design this area with maintenace in mind.
Anyway, for the 2nd side, knowing what I was in for, I came up with a couple short cuts that I think shaved considerable time off the job.
First, before disconnecting the upper arms from the upright, I loosened all the lower arm connection and lower shock mount. If you don't, holding the upright while torquing on the lower bolts is difficult by yourself.
Secondly, since I knew by round #2 that the replacement lower control arm bolts are a little shorter and reinstalling is easier than removal, I used my SawZall to cut both the lower control arm mount bolts after backing them out a couple inches. Then I removed the whole upright with lower arms still attached. Then a simple whack with a hammer to the old ball joint end dropped both arms. I found this much easier and faster than removing the arms with a ball joint tool. In fact if I have to do this job again some day, I think I would try removing the shock cartridge bolts from the engine compartment and cutting the lower bolts. Then remove the whole shock/spring/uprights/control arm assembly as one. Put in on a bench and break it down from there with easy access to everything.
I know cutting the bolts seems crude. But I found it quicker and easier and didn't scrape up the pan getting the bolts out.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's why I just paid someone today to do that. My car now drives like new.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default While i hope nto to need the tips any time soon,....

...i always appreciate when people post good tips and info.

Thanks for taking the time.

G