A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes

I'm a new owner of a A6 2.7T. I was looking at the maintenence schedule. It seems to me that 8000 miles between oil changes is long time considering my car didn't come with synthetic oil.

Can I get some guidence. I'm sorry if I'm belaboring an old topic.
Old 11-27-2000, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Oil Changes

I tend to agree with you, but, I'm going to follow Audi's recommendation. I was told by many people NOT to change the oil before the first service interval of 8k. I was told that the "factory fill" oil had additives in it (and it was a special weight that is not found outside of the factory) that are necessary for proper "break in" of the rings. I will say that my car suffered an "unusual" consumption of oil, until just before my first service. On a road trip, I burned 1 full qt. in 411 miles of interstate driving!!! That was at 6000 miles, and since then my consumption is almost nil.
Since the first service, I've driven my car "briskly", now at 11,200 miles, I've burned approx 1/4 of a qt. since the last change. I recommend staying with the recommended change interval until at least your second service.
Old 11-27-2000, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My experience/opinion

I followed the manual to the letter and changed the oil at 8000 miles. I was consuming .25 - .50 quart of oil every 1K miles. I switched to synthetic (M1) at the 8K and oil consumption slowed to about .25 q every 2000 - 2500 miles. I have since had my 15K service and the oil consumption has stabilized and there has been virtually no consumption in 2000 miles.

Other notes:

* Driving Style - Enthusiastic
* Modifications - Tires & wheels /Nothing else
* Drive Type - 70% city / 30% highway
* Fuel - Always 93(octane)or higher
* Break - In - 5K rpm or less for 1st 1100m.
* Cool Down - When applicable
* Warm Up - According to manual (none)
* Top Speed Run - One per week (130-135 mph)

As of this date (knock,knock,knock) I have not experienced any powerplant or drivetrain related problems. I use the car as it was intended and do not baby it or conversely abuse it.

If you are extremely uncomfortable about waiting just schedule the 8K service at around 6500. By the time you get in you will probably have 7K. My theory of following the manual is to ensure that I have full recourse in the event of an unusual failure. Only my opinion. Do what makes you comfortable.

You are going to get 10,000 different opinions on oil. I took information from the manual, the dealer service policy, and the oil manufacturer. As you know oil viscosity is categorized by operating environment(temp). I took into account the oil manufacturers recommended viscosity based on the temperature range for my region (N.E.). Then I compared this to the vehicle manual and the service departments recommendations.

I came up with Mobil 1 10w-30 which is a middle ground so to speak between cold and hot performance. It is also within the parameters of the owners manual recommendation. Been using it since last part of 2000 winter. I see many using 0w-30 and 5w-30. I believe that there was a change to the manual which recommended/approved the use of 0w-30 oil.

I peronlly would be hard pressed to be convinced to use an 0w oil in a powerplant that can get as hot as ours. I know that many are using it more for the turbo's /cold lubrication but let's be realistic here. 10w-30 will pump at a minimum OAT of -49 F. Ow-30 will pump at a minimum OAT of -65 F. Even if we set historical records here in the N.E. we will probably see an OAT of -10 F. So the difference in lubrication at -10 F is marginal.

The 10w-30, in my opinion, provides a good balance of cold and hot lubrication performance. It does not error on the extreme side of either cold or hot margin(s).

Now, after this war and peace novel you are left to your own devices. Use your best common sense combined with the manufacturers recommendations and you will have a higher probability of satisfactory performance from your powerplant.

BUSORE FOR PRESIDENT.
Old 11-27-2000, 07:13 AM

While i trust Audi - My personal thoughts are that they target the median in maintenance, and alos have a slightly vested interest in lengthening those intervals - since they are footing the bill.

Being a 5 percenter - that group likely to stretch the envelope of performance, I 'd rather err on the side of preventative maintence for the small cost of those extra changes. There may be a different oil, or there may not be.... But I feel better knowing that I changed it at 2k and also took the opportunity to move to Synthetics. I will then change it every 5k or more often if I am driving hard.

There are many opinions and thoughts on this along with varying driving styles and upkeep.

Those leasing or who turn their cars every 50k have less reason to focus on these details.

Regards,
Old 11-27-2000, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To summarize my approach:

1) I was told that the 8,000 mile interval is fine for the A6. Another mechanic told me that oil checked at 8,000 miles under conditions similar to mine could have run another 8,000 no problem. I have changed from an "every 4,000 mile" oil changer to every 8,000 miles per Audi's recommendation.

2) I was told by an Audi mechanic to run normal oil until 16,000 miles then switch to synthetic if I wanted. He believed that the normal oil helped everything to seat properly during the break-in period while the synth helped in the long run due to its better thermal properties.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

If your read the following Technical Service Bulletin it is clear that AoA has changed to service intervals for 2001 Audis to first service at 5000 miles (8000km) and then 10000 miles (16000 km) thereafter.

The first service includes an oil change.

In Europe Audi has introduced variable service intervals across all models which mean for high mileage V6 diesel user the first service could be at 30000 miles<ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com/audipdf/ams0002.pdf">http://tech.vw.com/audipdf/ams0002.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 11-27-2000, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome to the "club" Mike! It may be an "old" topic, but it is a very important one.

My dealers comments parallel those already posted...don't change the factory oil until 8K minimum, 16K preferably. If you go to a good synthetic, it is OK to follow the factory-recommended intervals, unless you prefer shorter ones. The manual's published intervals are based on "normal" driving, but most of us experience a lot of "stop-n-go" and short trips without a full warm-up, and that is NOT "normal" driving. I have a very good relationship with my dealer's shop manager and service-writers, and I find their honesty refreshing.

I have 16K on my 2.7T, and will be changing to M1 (5-30 for my mountain driving) and 10-30 for the rest of the year. My oil-consumption history is similar to others...about 1/2 to 1 quart in the first 3-5K, then very little or none since. My dealer does not stock M1, so they tell you not to forget to bring it with you!

HTH
Old 11-27-2000, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmmm, who is your mechanic?

It sounds as if he knows my car without seeing it. As I posted I was consuming small amounts of oil approximately every 1K miles(less as mileage increased). I am now consuming none (16K miles), which would lead me to believe that the rings etc . . . have now fully seated.

My fuel consumption has remained fairly constant and in line with my driving style and environment. I just thought it was odd that two of you posted similar information about the 16K philosophy. I don't think I have seen that posted more than once.

Adios'
Old 11-27-2000, 09:34 AM

Default If you want, follow the book for warranty, but...

I know of people who drive their Audis w/synthetic oil for 20-25k miles between changes (10-12k on filters)... 7,500 seemed long to me at first, too. =)
Old 11-27-2000, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hmmmm, who is your mechanic?

Actually, my Audi salesman at Holberts in Warrington PA, a guy named Wayne Maier, used to service Audis but moved over to sales. He's the one who told me about running normal oil until 16,000 miles to aid in seating then switching to synth. The Audi service manager, Harry Park, told me about sticking to the 8,000 mile interval when I interviewed him during the pre-sales process.

Both of these guys have been with Holberts for years. This dealership seems to hold onto employees forever. The dealer has a great reputation in my area.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes