A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

Hi guys! My fight agains the oil leaks from my car still continues. Since my problems seems to be very common to anyone here with a 2.8l V6, please send me some advice.
My first move was to change valve cover gaskets and seals. They had very bad leaks.
But my oil pan is also completely covered with oil. This is problably a known issue. So, what is leaking? Lower oil pan gasket? What about the upper pan gasket? Is it common to leak?
I also have oil drip from the oil cooler. What can it be?
Thanks a lot!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Should have done all the other seals when you did the valve cover gaskets. Most likely leak is cam adjuster seals, but could be cam seals and/or cam plugs.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Should have done all the other seals when you did the valve cover gaskets. Most likely leak is cam adjuster seals, but could be cam seals and/or cam plugs.
Yes I know you're right. It's in my schedule to replace the timming belt next so the 3 front seals will be replaced soon. Adjusters and plugs are being replaced this time. And they were laking bad!
But I have to do this in parts since I only have the weekend to work and during the week I need the car running. That's why I did the covers first.
But do you think that only the seals are enough to do all that mess? I mean cover the pan with oil? What about the pan gaskets? I hope the upper pan gasket does not usualy leak because changing it would not be pleasant....
BTW, how can I remove the front seals without the vag tool? Screw in and pull? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Fix the top seals, the common leakers, and clean the engine before you worry about the bottom.

When you do the timing belt, it's very easy to get all the seals out by loosening the cam caps (you have to remove the valve covers anyway to get the cam adjuster seals).
Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Fix the top seals, the common leakers, and clean the engine before you worry about the bottom.

When you do the timing belt, it's very easy to get all the seals out by loosening the cam caps (you have to remove the valve covers anyway to get the cam adjuster seals).
Thanks! You are right but the problem is I already did the cam tensioner gaskets when I opened to replace the cover gasket. I left only the 3 ones behind the TB cover to be replaced soon when I'll do the TB service. So, since it is all done and I need to replace only these 3 seals I'd like to replace it without the need to open the cover again to avoid future leaks. To do this job vag has a tool but is so easy to remove the plugs that I believe there should be a way to remove the seals without this tool and without removing the valve cover. Is it?