A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

oil leak from valve cover corners

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak from valve cover corners

I replaced all my cam seals, plugs, tensioner seals and valve cover gaskets a few months ago. There is still oil leaking from the passenger side but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

I am finding oil on the underneath of the cam housing at the lower corners. At the rear, it's dripping from there onto the exhaust. At the front, I find fresh oil on the underneath of the timing belt cover, running down onto the 2 coolant hoses that attach to the block in that area. The rear end of the block is dry - nothing seems to be leaking form the cam cap or chain tensioner seals. At the front, my exhaust cam seal seems to be dry, as is the inside of the upper timing belt cover.

So it seems to me it's leaking from the 2 lower corners of the valve cover gasket, and running back inwards along the bottom instead of dripping off the edge of the housing. Does that sound plausible?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you replaced the cam/valve cover gaskets did you use black RTV and let it set up for at least 24 hours prior to starting the engine? If not then that's the most likely source of your leak.

Replace the valve cover gaskets and allow the RTV to set up. Don't over tighten the valve cover nuts either.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
When you replaced the cam/valve cover gaskets did you use black RTV and let it set up for at least 24 hours prior to starting the engine? If not then that's the most likely source of your leak.

Replace the valve cover gaskets and allow the RTV to set up. Don't over tighten the valve cover nuts either.
I did use some at the corners, but maybe not enough. Looking at it now I can barely see it. Also I may not have let it set for 24 hours. I did the first time I did the job, but I botched the gasket installation, so a short time later I installed another one and I don't think I waited 24 hours before running it.

I have another gasket so I will go ahead and change it again and wait for the 24 hours this time Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, the first time I did it I thought a few hours was enough and the oil just kept leaking out. I re-did the work and let it sit for the recommended 24 hours and not a drop since. Smells better in the cabin as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Yeah, the first time I did it I thought a few hours was enough and the oil just kept leaking out. I re-did the work and let it sit for the recommended 24 hours and not a drop since. Smells better in the cabin as well.
Yeah it's the smell that's killing me. After all the work I've done it sometimes seems like I'll never be free of that smell

But I suppose I would be if I just did the work properly in the first place!

You have any luck selling your car yet btw?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I did get it sold and am now looking for an A8L. I won't make some of the mistakes I made when I bought the A6. Older and wiser but hey, I have lots of neat new tools.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by divil
Yeah it's the smell that's killing me. After all the work I've done it sometimes seems like I'll never be free of that smell

But I suppose I would be if I just did the work properly in the first place!

You have any luck selling your car yet btw?
Oh yes, you will love the way it DOESN'T smell inside. I changed the cabin air filter just to be sure.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pull that cover off and use a mirror and see if its maybe the cam seal. Could just be the cover didnt seal well and you need to redo the valve cover and make sure to use enough silicone on the corner, and that it is perfectly clean and givin some time, few hours, to setup. Overnight is way overkill. Most black RTV is good to go after about an hour.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
pull that cover off and use a mirror and see if its maybe the cam seal. Could just be the cover didnt seal well and you need to redo the valve cover and make sure to use enough silicone on the corner, and that it is perfectly clean and givin some time, few hours, to setup. Overnight is way overkill. Most black RTV is good to go after about an hour.
The cam seal looks and feels dry, although I suppose it could be leaking behind the rear timing belt cover - I haven't gone that far to check yet. I would be surprised though because there doesn't seem to be much you can do wrong installing the cam seal. I removed the caps, oiled the new seals and put them in place. I can't see how I could have gotten it wrong. I can see with a mirror that the seal is positioned correctly.

I think I'll let the RTV go overnight anyway, I don't need to drive the car and I'll no nuts if the next thing I do doesn't fix it!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

divil, let that RTV cure for 24 hours! There's a reson for that recommendation by lots of folks besides me. The maker of the product for one, which says 1 to set 24 to cure. You will be happy with the result.

Quick Reply: oil leak from valve cover corners