A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

oil pressure, gonna change the pump, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure, gonna change the pump, what do you think?

hi everyone,

once in a blue moon my oil light would come on, (oil can symbol on dash and beeping). it would only appear after a fast run and when dropping down to low rpm, accelerating and going above 1500 rpm it would go out again. the first time it happened i thought ****e, i pulled over, checked things out, then continued on home carefully. my first thought was maybe a one off so i changed the oil and oil pressure switch. all was good for a few weeks, then and now fairly often the light comes on again. this so far makes sense as a low pressure problem due to that the oil thins out when she gets really warm, say after a long run, restriction becomes less and so the pressure drops. I am using the recommended castrol syntes 5w40 oil for the summer, and i beleive changing to a thicker grade would just temporarily solve the problem.
I checked the specs and connected a oil pressure gauge at the oil pressure switch location and heated up the oil as required. the specs say 29 p.s.i min at 2000rpm, no other specs were given, like a psi at a higher rpm. once the oil heated up i could only get 25 psi at 2000 rpm although i could get between 50-60psi above 4000 rpm. I plan on changing the oil pump first and maybe pulling off a couple of main caps and rods to see if there is any bearing damage or excess clearance.
so i was just wondering if any or you guys had changed the pump before or had any syptoms like mine before and what was the outcome.
the engine still sounds smooth, with no mechanical or tappet noise. any tricks i need to know when changing the pump?

thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

oops, forgot to say its the 2.7T in my A6, thanks.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

just an update to those that are interested, i ended up replacing the oil pump even though i could have re-used the old one as it had very little wear with only slight scoring on the pressure control slug due to the foreign material. i rechecked pressures after and i now have 34psi at 2000rpm with the oil at 200f, had 25psi before (spec is 29 at 175f), and 15psi at idle where before it was around 8psi. i just have to now figure out where those pieces came from.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

where is the pump and is it hard to change?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hi,
its real easy to replace, just pull off the oil pan, three bolts hold it to the block, lower it down, disconnect from the drive chain and reverse to install. you could probably do this from start to finish in about 1-2 hours, including draining and refilling with oil. skill level required 2 out of 5 i'd say.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fukinavit
hi everyone,

once in a blue moon my oil light would come on, (oil can symbol on dash and beeping). it would only appear after a fast run and when dropping down to low rpm, accelerating and going above 1500 rpm it would go out again. the first time it happened i thought ****e, i pulled over, checked things out, then continued on home carefully. my first thought was maybe a one off so i changed the oil and oil pressure switch. all was good for a few weeks, then and now fairly often the light comes on again. this so far makes sense as a low pressure problem due to that the oil thins out when she gets really warm, say after a long run, restriction becomes less and so the pressure drops. I am using the recommended castrol syntes 5w40 oil for the summer, and i beleive changing to a thicker grade would just temporarily solve the problem.
I checked the specs and connected a oil pressure gauge at the oil pressure switch location and heated up the oil as required. the specs say 29 p.s.i min at 2000rpm, no other specs were given, like a psi at a higher rpm. once the oil heated up i could only get 25 psi at 2000 rpm although i could get between 50-60psi above 4000 rpm. I plan on changing the oil pump first and maybe pulling off a couple of main caps and rods to see if there is any bearing damage or excess clearance.
so i was just wondering if any or you guys had changed the pump before or had any syptoms like mine before and what was the outcome.
the engine still sounds smooth, with no mechanical or tappet noise. any tricks i need to know when changing the pump?

thanks.
What brand of oil filter are you using? I have seen cheap domestic oil filters blow apart and clog the pressure relief valve.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

i have been using only german filters, (cant remember name) but this car has 200,000km on it so cant vouch for the previous owner, although car did come with full dealer service history. the piece i found was like a retainer of sorts, but too big to be an oil filter part.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

do oyu have a camera with a macro setting ? perhaps someone can ID the pieces if you get a good photo.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
do oyu have a camera with a macro setting ? perhaps someone can ID the pieces if you get a good photo.
i had another post about the pieces i found and a few photos i took link : https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2789338

looks like a retainer of sorts to me, hopefully foriegn to the car.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fukinavit
i had another post about the pieces i found and a few photos i took link : https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2789338

looks like a retainer of sorts to me, hopefully foriegn to the car.
Have you tried arranging the pieces together to see if they complete a circle? It is possible that you might have couple more pieces floating around if not...