A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil spill on black carpet mat, cleaning suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the info on Oil-Flo. But I don't agree with points A - C...

Dry cleaning fluid is designed for fabrics. Of course, first test a hidden area on fabrics not labeled for dry cleaning.

The other ideas I listed were mentioned in Haley's Cleaning Hints, a book about getting out stains while saving money on premium special-purpose products.

If you had a message just about Oil-Flo, I'd put it in the FAQ. But the stuff at the top isn't something I want to refer people to.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More clarification...

A says: "I feel that corn meal might make a bigger mess." Just my opinion. Have you ever tried this and if so, what were the results?

B says: "Fabrics do not take kindly to strong chemicals, so be wary... fire hazard...". Again, just a warning statement. For a large stain such as that described, it seems impractical to douse it in dry-cleaning fluid and then wash it off. Incidentally, does anybody know what's the best place to buy dry-cleaning fluid and how much does it cost? Also, I doubt that the mat has a "care label" to look at! The foam backing under Audi mats is delicate and doesn't take well to solvents...

C) I have personally used products like K2R with success on varied stains. As 2turbos1mission replied to your question, it combines with the stain to form a white powder that must be vacuumed up. It is tedious, expensive and far from foolproof. It is meant only for very fine fabrics that *cannot* come in contact with water.

As for putting it in the FAQ, I don't know why you mention it. If you don't like A-C but agree with the rest, omit A-C) and put it in the FAQ.
Or don't. Its all the same to me...

I do not have a copy of Haley's Cleaning Hints but I have other similar books with similar "home" recipes. Some work, some do not. I will find this and add it to my collection. Because of books like these, many, many people believe that repairing a scratched CD by buffing with toothpaste will yield results comparable to buffing with, say, Plexus or Novus or a product specifically designed for that purpose. At least, that's been my experience and philosophy. Oil-Flo is also not a "premium" product. It costs around 13 bucks and I am still using the bottle I bought 3 years ago...

Best Regards!