A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The old A6 water leak.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The old A6 water leak.....

Hi I am new to the forum, but I have been reading for a while.

My 2001 A6 Avant has been suffering from the dreaded water leak into the passenger footwell. I had a look under the battery and sure enough the drains were blocked. However, after unblocking them I found that I am still getting water in the cabin. I think the foam seal under the pollen filter is past it's best, so I am going to change that this weekend, but I am not totally convinced that this is the problem.

The water appears to be coming into the cabin through a piece of foam which I think is in the ventilation system at the back of the passengerr footwell. hopefully there is a picture below of where I mean. note this is a RHD car.

It still seems to drip, even when it is not raining, so I am thinking that the ventilation is full of water. is there a drain or something in the ventilation that can get clogged up? maybe it is the air con, but I am not sure where the condensate drain is?

All help greatly appreciated,

Jamie
Old 11-06-2009, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamiedeas
...My 2001 A6 Avant has been suffering from the dreaded water leak into the passenger footwell...
Hey Jamie

I had a similar issue, and I found that the cowl that "clips" onto the bottom of the windshield was broken. There is a thin plastic "wedge" that clips into a groove at the bottom of the windshield and on mine the wedge had cracked at the end of the cowl, which was on the passenger side. I think this wedge is supposed to stop water from running in behind the cowl so it runs over the cowl which puts it out of reach of the polin filter. When it rains have a look to see if the polin filter is wet, that would be a good indicator. On mine I used a soldering iron and "welded" the wedge back onto the cowl. Worked for a while, but recnetly found it had seperated again. I will probably jus tbuy a new cowl. I looked at they were around $50 new.

Then another think to check is the AC drip outlet which is in the footwel on the right side. Goes into the floor as far as I know.

Hope that helps
Massboykie
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

There should be a drain at the bottom of the box where the evaporator is or the low point in the a/c system...just common sense. Of course, Audi sense isn't that common, but I'd look for the plugged drain in the AC system.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I will have a look for the A/C drip outlet and see if that turns up anything. And surely there must be a way of draining the ventilation / a/c. I will look at the lowest point.

cheers,

Jamie