A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Old plastic…2K4.2A6

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Old plastic…2K4.2A6

While replacing the front woofers/tweeters (infinity 6030CS) on my wife's 2K4.2A6 i pulled the driver's side door closed harder than normal…and yanked the top of the pull out…luckily, I realized quickly that something was popping and let up on the handle.

However, I had to take off the door liner yet again, (getting REALLY good at taking it off and putting it on!) and discovered that door pull is not attached very solidly…the pull has a tenon that is inserted into the plastic plate inside the door liner and then welded to the plate, either ultrasonic or heat, hard to tell. The tenon had separated from the plate…car is almost 14 years old now and many pulls on that handle!

Anyway, the repair was a ⅜" hole drilled through the plate into the pull (the pull is hollow and >2" deep) and filled with a drywall/cement anchor (glued it in, belt and suspenders) and a #12X2" screw. I put the anchor in from the inner side of the liner, through the plate and into the pull rather than into the pull first…the lip on the anchor should help the pull stay into the inner liner, not to mention the #12 screw with a washer big enough to cover the hole. The anchor is a cobra Triple Grip rated at 102# lateral load in ⅝" drywall and 450# in concrete which is not the load direction for the anchor but WTH. Available at home depot.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 11-19-2013 at 07:40 AM.