A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Other navigation choices: Anyone have a good In dash unit? not a fold out unit. I'd love to do..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other navigation choices: Anyone have a good In dash unit? not a fold out unit. I'd love to do..

the Rns-E DVD but reading the problems on the forum/navplus. Seems that spending 1500 dollars on a unit, that could possibly NOT work properly is a bit retarded to me.

I've been looking at something like a Pioneer system, or a Sony in dash system.

Has anyone else gone this route? I've posted this before but people just posted pictures of the RNS-E.

I like that the RNS-E is flush with the trim. And it fits with the car. I dont like that:

Its not Touch Screen.
US DVD's have to be hacked a little bit to work out. (Im in the USA).

Im just having a bit of bad luck with the car so far. The last thing i want to do is spend the $ on the RNS-E for it to only give me problems.

Im sure it will require a custom face plate. To replace the current one. But i think a 2005 navigation system is worth the 1500 dollars.

I have yet to see a custom audi-audio-navigation install on google either. One that isn't all SUPER BLING.

I know someone has had to have gone the route of a flush in dash navigation system?

Also, I dont mean to Re-Post my navigation request. I just let the last thread die out, because of all the RNS-E posts.

Im going to continue to research nav+ and rns-e. but it seems like for my 2000 2.7t I'd definately have a problem heh, probably that code recognizing problem that a few other guys have.

Thanks,
Old 12-09-2005, 06:09 AM

Default You raise some good points, but...

I just bought the RNS-E, rather than another unit. For starters I like the OEM look of it.

I had considered the forum feedback as well and came to the conclusion that the forum is a sounding board for technical issues, so I'm not sure if it's that the RNS-E is fraught with bugs so much as its the nature of the forum to put all of the issues in one place. You'd prolly find the same for any manufacturer on it's tech forum.

Well, that's how I convinced myself to buy it anyway. Not sure what the real answer is, but I'm ***** deep now at $1550 myself.

Actually, TeddyBGame has a very stable CD-based nav+ package for an awesome price. You might want to check him out. I very nearly bought that one.

Here's a great site for you to read:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=739
Old 12-09-2005, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What "problems" have you read about the RNS-E in the C5 A6? Please explain....

so I can re-educate you.

If you want the previous Nav+ (CD-based), you can certainly buy mine for a discount. Drop me a line.

Bottom-line: The RNS-E is the probably the best $1500 you can spend your A6 (next to an aftermarket warranty). Period.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: What "problems" have you read about the RNS-E in the C5 A6? Please explain....

Hey Ted,

He's prolly referring to the maps giving reading errors, etc. FWIW, Alex at Proxus said he solved the issue by using a new data DVD.

Rob
Old 12-09-2005, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's another option:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f7492b722898d4802a29d40673a2038a& amp;threadid=58404">Treo 650/Tom Tom Navigator 5 with Bluetooth GPS receiver setup.</a></li></ul>
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the Tom-Tom-Treo-Parrot set up...

I would not reccomend it. The treo can only hold one blue tooth signal at a time. So when are about to make a key turn in the GPS, your phone will naturally ring and no more GPS.
It becomes a pain in the A that it can only do one thing at a time.

However. I do have the portable TOM-TOM go for my wife and it is the best and easiest system to use. And you can take it with you. For $7-800.00 its not to bad either.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haha I am VERY familiar with the Famous TeddyBGame.

Teddy, S6,

Thanks for all the responses. I am just concerned with having problems in General with the unit. As I mentioned before, I have had a little bad luck with the car. I'd love to just get the RNS-E installed, and working fine. I'd say im more afraid of spending the $, then having to pull ou tthe vag every other night or something to get it working. I want something to just work fine.

I love the Flush OEM Look as well. Thats why its so hard to decide. I've been following all of Teddy's posts. He infact is the reason I even bought the A6. Looking at his list of mods and write ups.

I guess at the end of the day, i can always install it. Do the Euro DVD to American DVD thing that the proxus guy did. Or another guy on navplus forums. And try that out.

And if it doesn't work. It should be fine to sell again, correct?

Im going to take it down to West Coast Customs, and see if they have any ideas as far as making a nice faceplate for an aftermarket nav system.

I may just be asking too much. Aftermarket system, with OEM fitting. heh.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Teddy, Ive been reading yoru forum posts, and the navplus forum posts for a w hile now. Install and

everything.

Is the CD based navigation from the Nav+ Just as fast as the RNS-E Dvd system? Will there be any lags or pauses? Im in Los Angeles CA. I think i saw your nav+ used set on the navplus store? You had a link to it, with a complete install equipment. It still has nadia talking to you and what not correct? I must just do that, Im just nervous about the RNS-E US DVD on my 2000 2.7T(rhymed)

As I mentioned before. I have an 00 2.7t. Thats not a problem though, because ive seen a few guys install one on a 00.

My concern was that a few people are able to fix the Security code problem, where as some are not.

Also, Im not sure if its possible to track down the correct components to do the US dvd on the EURO RNS-E Conversion. There was 1 guy that just reburned the US cd with the data from the Euro. He said he had no missing roads or what not.

But basically, 1500 dollars is pretty steep to spend, then install.. then debug the unit. Which looks great, but is a little bit behind a newer navigation system.

It has everything you need to navigate however. But its not touch screen. Id love to spend 1700 dollars on a pioneer etc 2005 navigation system. But the thing will just look TERRIBLE installed on the a6. And thats where the OEM unit trumps it.

Hopefully Someone has went with an aftermarket unit, and a custom faceplate installation. But it looks like everyone just goes with the mobile solutions. Or the Flip Out systems. I think those do their job. But doesn't give the car a clean look.