A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Overhead Interior Lights Work, but not with door

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead Interior Lights Work, but not with door

Hi all! Been reading through forums for some time now, and has helped me through problems.

Both my front and rear overhead lights work when I use the rocker switch, and the little touch map lights all work when pressed too. But they do not turn on when the doors are opened. My information center does register doors and trunk appropriately when opened, and I don't have problems with alarm like others have had when a door switch goes bad.

When I open say, the drivers door, the lights on the very bottom of the drivers door do light, as do the lights under the dash on the drivers door. This is same foor all doors, the appropriate lights work, but the overheads never come on, regardless of rocker switch position (with the exception of always on position, but then they're always on). Any ideas? I have access to wiring diagrams through AllData.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do the lights in the back come on when their switch is in the middle?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: do the lights in the back come on when their switch is in the middle?

In all honesty, I just this past weekend learned there were even lights and a switch back there! My firend turned them on, and I was like "Oh".I pretty much spend all the time in the drivers seat. So since I never noticed, I think the ones in the back did not turn on with the ones in the front (when using front switch) and I know they did and still do not work with the doors. Today I tried different variations of switch positions with front and rear dome lights and now when I turn on the front dome light, the rear turns on too.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: do the lights in the back come on when their switch is in the middle?

Also I do have a VAG-COM and did not get any leads scanning with it
Old 01-22-2007, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You need a new lock & carrier in the drivers door. 200.00 part, DIY on the labor if you are so..

inclined -
Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You need a new lock & carrier in the drivers door. 200.00 part, DIY on the labor if you are

Looking at wiring diagrams, it is wired near/with the memory seats. I guess it's worth noting that while my power seats and mirrors do work, the memory function does not.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Default There is a fuse...

A bit below on this message board is a message about a fuse that, if blown, knocks out everything that's not working for you (it's not really marked as such; I'll try to find the thread). I have the exact same syndromes, all of them...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: There is a fuse...

Found the info; doesn't cover the overhead light, but might have something to do with your seats (and mine), here's what it said (this guy's memory seats didn't work):

I triple checked the fuses. It was number 31, which in my owners manual says - Back-up lights, cruise control, Automatic Transmission, data link connector for On Board Diagnostic, automatic dimming mirror...15 amp. Not sure why this popped. All of those things still worked. I think my car is Canadian. Could this make a difference?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Gotta ask you...

What the hell wax are you using?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zymol paste wax, the paste isn't readily available. I get it from my body shop.

Quick Reply: Overhead Interior Lights Work, but not with door