A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:58 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Overheating Audi C5 A6 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4Driver4 & Prospeeder

I believe you guys have it right. I got the call (last Tue.) from ModuleMaster and the tech tells me the cluster is fine. All gauges check out OK but the LCD display (pixilated) is bad and he can fix that.

I started the CTS Sunday and once the cluster shows up I can test it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

two different sensors tell you its running hot ... change the t-stat .. first ,.. then check the water pump .. me .. id do both ,, but thats just me as they are a pain in the *** to get to and the parts are cheap .

you actually need an official slp in the head .. you ignored the advice of guys who live and breath Audis every day and took the advice of a guy on a phone who talks on the phone all day about anything and everything with wheels . tut-tut

Last edited by Airbag; 09-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Seriously, you did literally 0 diagnostic and just jumped to the most unlikley thing, the cluster. I bet its exactly the same when the cluster comes back, and you end up putting a temp sensor in it to fix it.
Props to Prospeeder,

You were right it was the CTS and the A6 is fixed. Also the LCD looks great but the cluster was not the problem. I used ModuleMaster for the rebuild and I would recommend. Attaching some pictures for your enjoyment and hopefully it can help someone in the future.

Thanks again for the help.
Attached Images      
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by northfork
4Driver4 & Prospeeder

I believe you guys have it right. I got the call (last Tue.) from ModuleMaster and the tech tells me the cluster is fine. All gauges check out OK but the LCD display (pixilated) is bad and he can fix that.

I started the CTS Sunday and once the cluster shows up I can test it.
Eh...at least you got the LCD fixed. Pixilated can drive you nuts unless you just leave it off.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Airbag
two different sensors tell you its running hot ... change the t-stat .. first ,.. then check the water pump .. me .. id do both ,, but thats just me as they are a pain in the *** to get to and the parts are cheap .

you actually need an official slp in the head .. you ignored the advice of guys who live and breath Audis every day and took the advice of a guy on a phone who talks on the phone all day about anything and everything with wheels . tut-tut
Tut Tut Old Boy....LOL!!!
IF you have to change the thermostat, you might as well do the entire TB service if it's due in less than 20-30K miles. Including the water pump. BOHICA!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Tut Tut Old Boy....LOL!!!
IF you have to change the thermostat, you might as well do the entire TB service if it's due in less than 20-30K miles. Including the water pump. BOHICA!
well .. he is kinda new .. didnt want to be too hard on him .. looks like its all fixed but i agree .. if your in that far ....
Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good, happy ending.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually, it sounds like he's still out there overheating....with a cluster that had nothing wrong with it.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Actually, it sounds like he's still out there overheating....with a cluster that had nothing wrong with it.
yeah but i wonder if he will come back and admit it
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
yeah but i wonder if he will come back and admit it
Airbag and SloopJohn…I’m still here.

Not sure what you are asking? I drove it back to Lexington Saturday to do the switch out with my son and had no problems. Over 120 miles and it ran great. The car is fixed and both 4Driver4 & Prospeeder had it right. I wish I had waited for their response but I got impatient and went the online tech. route.

With 3 Audis…Going to be here for awhile.
The following users liked this post:
Fat Albert (03-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Overheating Audi C5 A6 3.0L