A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

P0884

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0884

04 A6 Quattro Sline 2.7 twin turbo. About a week ago I got an error code p0118. Did a lot of research and found to change the temp sensor. Finished that today (I haven't been driving the car until I could get that fixed) and the error went away. At about the same time, though, I noticed the gear listing on the dash is backlit and the tip tronic isn't functioning. Today After finishing the sensor I took it down to an auto parts store to use their generic code reader and a new code p0884, TCM Power Input Signal Intermittent, came up. From what I've been reading that error code, the gears being backlit, and the tip not working go hand in hand. Anyone had any experience with this? Have any clues as to what is going on? I couldn't find much on the forum or the web and that is why I'm asking. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Is the TCU swimming? Control units don't like water. I'd start by checking that.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM

It's funny you mention the water... It was raining non-stop here for about a week and it was a very heavy rain when the problem occurred. I do have to ask, though, where would I be looking to find the TCU?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Under the passenger's left foot. You are going to need to remove it, take it apart and dry it out. Do not turn the key on again until you get it dried and re-installed.

If this is the problem, STFA for tons of information on passenger side water leaks and fixing them.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the fast replies... I've managed to pull the glove box out, but to be honest I don't know what it is I'm looking for. I don't want to start removing pieces until I know which is the right one. There was a lot of water sitting under the carpet and in the foam. I'm going to have to check out the forums for something to stop the leaks.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Erik913
I've managed to pull the glove box out, but to be honest I don't know what it is I'm looking for. I don't want to start removing pieces until I know which is the right one. There was a lot of water sitting under the carpet and in the foam. I'm going to have to check out the forums for something to stop the leaks.
You don't mean the glove box in the dash, do you? Are you talking about the box under the carpet with the TCU?
That really sucks. I went through that last year. DROWNED my TCU. I actually got mine to work again. I read alot on the forums, and ended up taking it out, taking it apart, and laying it face-down in a tupperware container filled with rice for a few days (I forget how long). The dry rice supposedly soaks up excess moisture.
However, I filed a claim with my insurance company for water damage, and ended up getting a brand new TCU, brand new carpet, and a rental car. Audi usually dries the carpets out and throws them back in, but my body guy fought to get a new carpet because he said sometimes they never smell right again, and when it gets hot and humid out, you might get condensation inside the car! There are several possible causes of leakage. Check to make sure your cowl shield at the bottom of the windshield is snugly fitted against the glass. Your cowl drains located under the battery and the brake booster could also be clogged, and over-flowing water through your pollen filter into the cab. Also, your sunroof drains, front and/or back could be clogged and pouring over down into the floor. make sure you check the floor of the backseat too. I had water there as well. there are alot of online instructions with links to checking and clearing all the drains I mentioned.
I would consider calling your ins. company to see if they cover it under water damages, but see if you can remove the TCU and dry it out in the rice (take it apart first), to keep it as a spare like I did. Good luck man, and let me know how you make out!!!

Jeremy
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM

It's good to know that it is possible to get the TCU to work again. I'm not sure what my insurance company will do, however I have $1000 deductables which I cannot aford right now. Where exactly is the TCU? There's a lot going on under there and like I said earlier I don't want to start pulling until I know I'm sure.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's good to know that it is possible to get the TCU to work again. I'm not sure what my insurance company will do, however I have $1000 deductables which I cannot aford right now. Where exactly is the TCU? There's a lot going on under there and like I said earlier I don't want to start pulling until I know I'm sure.
Erik, here are two pics of my TCU swimming in water:

It is inside the black plastic box. It is located underneath the carpet of on the passengers side. You have to remove the kickpanel. There are two screws, one covered with a cap. Then pry up the door sill, just pull up. 4 clips I think. Then, pry the carpet down, back and over towards the center console. The TCU will be sitting there and you'll be able to get at the water and the underside of the carpet. I know $1000 deductible can be high, I have one too, but the carpet alone cost $933.00, and audi wanted $1375 for the new TCU, plus labor. So I made out better by paying, but if you can't swing it, you can't swing it.
Like I said, what Audi does is remove the carpet and let it sit in the sun for a few days until it dries. Alot of work, but if you can't spend the grand, take out the carpet, take out the TCU, take it apart, put it in rice, and cross your fingers!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 PM

I got to the TCU and opened the black box... it was filled with water. I got the main unit out and have taken the cover off. I'm sure the unit got soaked. The underside of the carpet is still soaked from a few days ago. I might be in a bad way...

On a side note... will the unit that houses all of the cabling be okay?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got to the TCU and opened the black box... it was filled with water. I got the main unit out and have taken the cover off. I'm sure the unit got soaked. The underside of the carpet is still soaked from a few days ago. I might be in a bad way...

On a side note... will the unit that houses all of the cabling be okay?
That connector I think you're talking about should be fine. If you don't want to pull the carpet out (which I recommend), I highly suggest putting in some serious time in there with a wet vac, sucking the **** out of that carpet. Remember to do that back seat too! make sure you check those drains too, and put the TCU in rice!

Quick Reply: P0884