A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Paging Just Me (trans fluid question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Just Me (trans fluid question)

I tried going to the Exxon Mobil (Esso) site to look up my fluid, but it confused the hell out of me. Are there any places that sell it besides the manufacturer? TIA
Old 04-12-2007, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Its not that expensive to begin with, just get the Audi manufactured fluid from the dealer.

Why use some other brand to save $20? when the danger of getting the wrong stuff could cost you a transmission.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Butting in: if you are talking tip tranny fluid, here is some info. Made by Pentosin - many web

based parts suppliers sell it (also comes packaged under the Febi brand name).<ul><li><a href="http://www.worldpac.com/msds/WP_103.pdf">http://www.worldpac.com/msds/WP_103.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 AM

Default BTW - I have used this exact fluid in my ZF Tiptronic and it's the correct stuff - I've never seen

nor heard of the Esso fluid with the part number that ZF quotes in their literature being sold anywhere in North America. YOu can get it on-line for somewhere south of $20 per liter, while at the dealer it may run closer to $25 per liter, depending on the dealer of course. A VW dealer may have it for less (the B5 Passats, among others, use this same fluid).
Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Default This IS the right fluid according to ZF. I could get the Pentosin fluid listed on ECS, but...

some here said that it may not be "right" for my trans.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Audi OEM fluid is the same. I never looked for ESSO branded - sorry
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Might try the closest ZF Parts distributor/rebuilder to you. Should be able to get a phone # from

the ZF website. IIRC, I looked into getting the Esso fluid way back when and drum quantities were the smallest size (unless you went the Audi fluid route). Good luck and I appreciate your concern about getting the correct fluid. That is why the Pentosin lists the Audi part number in the MSDS that I posted the link for.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This matches the audi number in bentley. Should be good to go.

Just note that ZF does NOT mention Pentosin as a supplier on their website. They only mention ESSO.

Apparently, Penstosin supplies Audi..

I cant argue, although I'm a bit uncertain as to why the disparity.......

Good info.

BTW, I'd just buy the audi stuff from an OEM supplier (e.g.: nto the parts counter)

Grant
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Its the right Audi part number, according to Bentley....... obviously news to me :-)
Old 04-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Default When I purchased a case of it from Autobahnfluids.com a few years back, the box had the Audi part #

printed on it, but the bottle said Pentosin ATF-1. It would be interesting to know who makes the ATF fluid for BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Porsche, etc - as they all use ZF trannys that call for the same Esso part number. Perhaps the Audi fluid made by Pentosin is better than the Esso stuff - the Pentosin stuff is a synthetic fluid - don't know about the Esso stuff. Could be the reason why Audi calls the fluid lifetime and ZF says it needs to be changed. Not that I am advocating not changing the fluid - I changed mine. I would like to know the details on why the Esso stuff isn't sold and why Audi would spec the Pentosin stuff while the tranny manufacturer would spec something different. Must come down to $ in the end.

Quick Reply: Paging Just Me (trans fluid question)