A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Passat W8 ... furthering the wonderment: "why buy an A6?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I won't get a VW just based on the lousy service around here.

I honestly don't even consider the cars. Assuming I loved one and "had to have it" it would still be a bad idea because of the horrible service. Looks like a nice car though for sure.

-st
Old 07-11-2002, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see 30 Passats to every A6 I see around DC.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:46 AM

Default I wasn't referring to image, I was referring to the financial aspect

Not that cars appreciate, but as we all know they depreciate. House hunting rule #1 is buy the more modest house in the best neighborhood, it will hold its value better than the best house in the modest neighborhood.

Buying the W8 Passat is like the best house in the modest neighborhood. It won't hold its value, see VW credits residual. It is still a great house however.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Image is not everything, but it is something . . . .

growing up in the 80's in a working class family, I personally didn't like the image I had of BMW or Merc. In my mind, I equate these brands (to varying degrees) with a showy, dollar-waiving lifestyle. With all things equal, I'd just rather buy something else. My hang-up, irrational as it may be. That's not to say, however, that I am not image conscious. Given my insecurities, I'd be embarrassed to drive a KIA. Maybe I'm just spooning up the marketing of AOA (what little there is), but I buy into the image of Audi and my feeble little brain likes being associated with it.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:11 AM

Default "Why buy an A6?" was something of a rhetorical question

There are upsides and downsides to both vehicles. I love the A6 (Ming blue over ecru is my particular favorite). It's just that the W8 offers almost identical ride quality and more power for the same number of semolians. That said, I guess it boils down to an image-versus-value argument. Both are excellent autos. With the A6, you get the four rings and all the goodness and image thereto appertaining. With the W8, you get a lux-level ride with the Beetle-logo on its hood.

Having test driven both the A6 2.8 and 2.7T (though not the 4.2 or 3.0, yet), I think the Passat is much closer in character to that car than the A4 (particularly the previous generation). One Euro car magazine dubbed it "the A5."
Old 07-11-2002, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone who denies that image is a factor is...

... not being honest; and they are doing so because they want to project THE IMAGE of being not-snobby. There is an unnecessary linkage between snobbery and image. When personal image is important, I wear a dark suit, nice pressed shirt, tie and good shoes. It makes a statement.

When I pick a car to be seen in, I want to be perceived as smart, a bit exciting, someone who gains enjoyment out of driving, and, yes, a successful person. What's wrong with that? I get abuse from co-workers and neighbors because I keep my car clean and waxed. Again, I view my car as a reflection on me and my personal habits. I wash my shirts, I wash my car!

I respect people who see a car as a machine that gets you from point A to point B (although I still wonder why someone would not keep a car clean).

Passat is basic transportation (a la Camry and Accord). To me it does not suggest that the owner knows or cares much about the car he/she drives. For that reason, I don't want one -- because I do not want to be perceived as someone who does not know or care about the car I drive.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:26 AM

I've used the A5 monicker before, and a W8 w/6sp and Sport has earned it!
Old 07-11-2002, 07:27 AM

Default Re: In defense of the 3.0!

Price of a W8 is $3-5K less than similarly equipped 3.0? I don't think so. Price of a W8 and 3.0q are both approx. 38K, without options.

My cvt 3.0 fwd, with options, was about 39k. The Passat is a nice car, but except for the engine, it doesn't compare with any A6.

The cvt alone is worth a lot to me, and as we've seen, the perf. numbers are not too far off from 2.7's (unchipped) or 4.2's. Sure, those engines have more torque, but the cvt quickly shifts to a lower ratio with a small nudge of the gas pedal, so torque is always abundant.

MotorWeek, which showed the 3.0 running 6.9 sec. 0-60 (recently posted here) tested the 2.7 and 4.2 in the 7's 0-60 btw, although I'm not sure that I believe all of those numbers. The turbo engine and V-8 have to be faster, but the 3.0 isn't exactly a slug, especially with fwd and cvt.

I know the W8 is quick, but I'll take the interior, roominess and relative speed of the 3.0 (plus the great lease deal)!

DW
Old 07-11-2002, 07:36 AM

Default You are right image and style is important..

And when I drove my Passat, I felt it reflected my own personal style, and frankly it hasn't changed. I drove the Passat as opposed to the Accords and Camrys because of "form follows function", just the same as I drive the Audi as opposed to the Acuras and Lexii (Lexuses?, Lexuss?)
Old 07-11-2002, 07:40 AM

Default Numbers I've seen on the W-8 Passat aren't that quick.

I seem to recall it was in the 7's, not very indicative of 270 hp or whatever it is. Besides, if I want an Audi I'm looking for an UPSCALE German vehicle. If I buy a VW, then I'm looking for something else. Sorry, folks, that is the public's impression, that is what VW is fighting in both the W-8 and the Phaeton. I think it will take VW a long time to lose the lowball image, even if they are lowball with qulaity.

Quick Reply: Passat W8 ... furthering the wonderment: "why buy an A6?"