A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Passat W8 ... furthering the wonderment: "why buy an A6?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I'd look like every other person out there!
Old 07-11-2002, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Perception plays a significant role.

VW is trying to overcome the perception their company has established and the perception of the type of owner who owns them. Audi has already established themselves. People compare Audi with BMW and even Mercedes. Not so with VW, at least not that I am aware of yet. I personally feel no excitement when even the most tuned VW rolls by. They were never a consideration when I purchased a car. I get more attention in my 98 A6 with nice wheels then my friend who just purchased a 02 Passat with 18's and a full Ottinger kit gets. I see both passionate Audi and VW owners but the perception the two companies have are quite different. No matter what Volks Wagon makes right now, the perception will remain and that is something they are trying to overcome. Again, Audi's already there.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:04 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default but then the Phaeteon is outselling the S class in Europe...

...but pimped up Golfs get about as much attention as a pimped up Civic....

I think we have a personality crisis looming
Old 07-11-2002, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But...do they have jobs? ;) Just kidding...

I am very fortunate to not have to "worry" about losing my job, but I also don't have the "potential" for big $$$ in the military.
I'm just joking and not really making light of a situation that is probably very frustrating. I will actually shortly be going on my first job interview ever!!! Sucks...don't think I like interviewing!
Old 07-11-2002, 09:29 AM

Default I just drove one and ...

I didn't notice it was that different from a V6 4Motion for about $5-6K more. And if you drive a Passat and an A4 back to back (or an A6), you'll feel a world of difference. And it grieves me to say that, because I had convinced myself that I could get an Audi at a VW price with the Passat, but now I realize that the A4 is just a better car.

For us, that is. For most folks, a Passat of any kind is a huge leap above what they are driving now, and a very good value. But once you've had an Audi, it's tough to go down a notch.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:30 AM

No arguments on the interior, but the motor/sport package will make a great daily driver.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:33 AM

Default I'm with you, you only buy the car once but service it forever

And until VW kicks it up a notch, their service drives can be kinda ugly in the AM.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True, true...but really the interior provides a significant amount of "satisfaction" for me...

it is not a minor issue to me...that is why I was so po'd that the Recaros didn't come in the S6...but I guess not enough to drop another 5k on an aftermarket set!
Old 07-11-2002, 11:34 AM

FWD Audi? CVT or not, why buy an Audi without Quattro?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I remember an old TV show "Burke's Law"

Burke is speaking to a very very wealthy suspect and says to him something like "you are so wealthy you don't have to worry about your image". This was stated in contrast to Burke who was only very wealthy. Some of us precieve we are in a position where we have something to gain by projecting a certain image. Some of us precieve that we get nothing we want from projecting a particular image. All of us project some image, though it may not be what we want or mirror our personality.

I deal with essentially all my clients on the phone or in meetings. No one ever sees my car and so they don't care what I drive. If it did matter I would probably have kept my 740il. That car projected an image of "I am successful and I want everone to know it" and, in addition, it was very comfortable for the rear seat passengers. I got the 2.7t because I liked the way it performed and the solid feel and nice interior. I would buy a VW in a second if it offered better value than an Audi.

The problems with the W8 Passat are; not as fast as a 2.7t or 4.2, and not as much room inside. If those things don't matter to a buyer then the W8 may have better value. The S4 and, to an even greater degree, the WRX has slightly better performance than a 2.7t or 4.2 but they were too small for me so I got the 2.7t but I don't think I would be taking a step down buying an S4. The Subaru might be a step down based on comfort for even the front seat though, but if the Subaru came finished nicer I would look at that too.

Quick Reply: Passat W8 ... furthering the wonderment: "why buy an A6?"