A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Passport SR7 or SRX users

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passport SR7 or SRX users

Anyone here using the passport SR7 or SRX radar systems? If so got any feedback about them?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i'm not an owner, but I did extensive reading/research regarding these two >>>>>

basically it came down to just a few key elements.

* Different faceplate scheme/colour... no bigdeal

* SRX comes standard with the Lazer Jammers, whereas the SR7 does not. HOWEVER it does have the ability to use them, so with a '7' to get LazerJamming you'd also need to purchase the ZR3 kit which is the (2) front sensors + (1) rear sensor... it's all just plug & play after that

* SRX is more expensive, although with that being said to buy an SR7 + LazerJammers nearly = SRX price

* I read somewhere that the SR7 unit is comprised of the Passport7600 motherboard/electronics/guts/hardware, and that the the SRX is based off the Passport8100.

* However with regards to above point, testing seems to reveal that neither unit out ranks the other... strange no?

* There may be a few hidden features or special functions to further differentiate the two, but in the end they are nearly the same piece. All reviews I have found put them at the TOP of any radar detector on the market, as well as topping the class in Lazer Jamming.

Here are a couple of the resources I used for forming my opinion. BTW, if I ever get enough money I will be buying the SRX; although I much prefer the grey trim on the display of the SR7

<a href="http://search.ecoustics.com/Consumer/Reviews/Radar-Detector/Alpha-Name/All/">Scroll down to find SR7/SRX</a>

<a href="http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=1048">Very informative comparison &amp; description by Radartest.com</a>

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/4358890.phtml">I posed a similar question to your'se on AWOT and got quite a few good answers</a>

hth
Old 11-23-2005, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm an SRX owner in 3 of my cars and am a previous V1 owner about 5 times over.

The only advantage the V1 offers is the arrow mode which I did love. The SRX is so much more, and also a LOT more money. First, it's hidden so you do not have to worry about theft. Don't have to constantly put it up and take it down. Assuming you don't hardwire a V1, no cords, no suction rings on the windshield, no falling off in the winter when the suctions lose grip, etc.... My V1's are stealth mounted into my front ashtrays so they are REALLY hidden.

As for performance, I find them to be very equal in terms of distance and false alarms for X, K and Ka. My V1 used to false alarm with 3rd brake light systems from GMC/Chevy, but I'm sure they've since fixed that. Again, the only disadvantage I see is that there are no directional arrows. A small price to pay for everything else you get. The SRX offers a multitude of setting adjustments and display options from horizontal mounting to vertical mounting, dimming, sensitivity adjustment by band and/or complete band defeat, etc... Where the SRX shines is with Laser, and in particular laser diffusing - something V1 does not do.

The diffusing mode is incredible and has CLEARLY saved my butt many times. Being in Illinois, laser is used here and in Wisconsin and it is hilarious to see a cop on the side of the highway shoot you with laser and stare at the laser display because you know he's getting an "error" signal. Had one cop swing it around as I went by him and shoot my rear. The SRX has a rear diffuser as well. Worth the extra price right there.

I think you'll find the performance between the two to be very similar, the false alarming to be relatively similar, so what it boils down to is do you want something on your dash, potentially with wires hanging out or do you want a completely stealth unit that jams laser 100% of the time? Yes, cost is a huge issue, but you really can't beat either unit if you are smart about how you use them and read upcoming radar.