A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

PC way to ask a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC way to ask a question

I am sure I am like many casual (or not so casual) readers of this forum.... afraid to ask a question. Now I fully admit to being a NEWBIE and although I'm reasonably savvy to forum decorum....I don't know how to ask a stupid question.

I would love to participate and yes ask the occasional inane question but I fear the dreaded...."Use the search engine response". For those of us that are search-engine deficient is there a way to ask well meaning but albeit stupid question without offending the gods? If not, is there a tutorial on how to extract data from previous posts...I have tried but have not found the search engine to be 100% reliable.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ask away dont shy, I dont even if it makes me look Stupid
Old 11-25-2002, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just ask, and if someone critiques you tell them to shut up if they don't know the answer!

Seriously, just jump in and ask - we're pretty civilized here on the A6 forum, and for every rude response you'll probably have ten helpful and genuine responses. There are a few class clowns here and so even if someone seems rude they're probably just joking!

Have fun, ask away, welcome!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See, the fact that you've discovered the Search feature to be less that reliable shows you're not...

a complete fool. : )

...but, please, just ask away. Somebody far more knowledgeable than me, will most likely answer your questions. Once you feel comfortable here, then you can tread out into the more dangerous waters of the S4 Forum, or the quirky world of the TTers, just to socialize.

Welcome aboard. Post a pic of your car, and start adding money to your 'mod' slush fund. Really though, even if you're question's "What's the erupting volcano thing flashing in the center of my dash, and is it safe for me to drive?" everyone will just laugh, and then tell you their prognosis.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't even know there was a search function for the first year...screw those who badger you...

some are trying to be helpful, but some are being bitchy. It is not your responsibility or concern if someone is having a bad day or just isn't a very nice person.

I've asked plenty of stupid questions...my SQI (stupid question index) is 0.93...which obviously means I get only 7 reasonable questions per hundred...but as long as you're not particular about the answers, I'll be glad to answer your stupid questions!
Old 11-26-2002, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just give it your best shot - most people want to be helpful

It can help to mention you have tried to do the search and if you have found some info from that effort, share it, as you ask your question.

I agree with the other posts here - just ask.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nah, just do a search and if you can't find it after a reasonable time, then post a question.

I wouldn't worry about it. The things people really hate to see are the "what chip is the best?" or "will chipping void my warranty?" type stuff. Topics that have literally been covered hundreds of times in this forum and thousands of times on the board.

Glad to have you here,

-st
Old 11-26-2002, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A vast majority of us do not care about old or repeat questions. Obnoxious few...

... will bark back about doing a search. Ignore them. Just another case of people who grow "e-muscles" when seated at a computer keyboard.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just think of those people out there as part of the search engine!

Just ask, as many times, something re-visited can be interesting.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't agree, seeing really common questions again and again is really annoying.

Not to mention a waste of time, since most people will only answer a question in detail once or twice.

-st

Quick Reply: PC way to ask a question