A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Performance ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance ECU

Hello all,

I've been wanting to install a performance Chip/ECU Program in my car for a while now...but have been hesitant because I'm concerned with the longevity of my engine(2.7T), trans(Tiptronic) and stock turbos(KO3's) with the added power, torque and boost. I've researched the chips from, APR, GIAC, MTM and Revo and was hoping to get some solid input from anyone with any of these chips installed in their cars. Smart-asses keep your comments to yourself!
P.S. I don't flog the crap out of my car and its only got 63K miles on it now and is great mechanical condition. Thanks:-)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DLCroft929
Hello all,

I've been wanting to install a performance Chip/ECU Program in my car for a while now...but have been hesitant because I'm concerned with the longevity of my engine(2.7T), trans(Tiptronic) and stock turbos(KO3's) with the added power, torque and boost. I've researched the chips from, APR, GIAC, MTM and Revo and was hoping to get some solid input from anyone with any of these chips installed in their cars. Smart-asses keep your comments to yourself!
P.S. I don't flog the crap out of my car and its only got 63K miles on it now and is great mechanical condition. Thanks:-)

STFA! it ha been covered so many times, like a post below you even has it covered *** clown
Old 02-22-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I agree that this has been discussed many times, but seeing as this was your first post, maybe you didn't know how to (or even that you should) search the forums first.

I haven't chipped my car (yet), so I can't give you any personal feedback on the different chips. I do know that a lot of people will tell you not to install a chip at all with TipTronic, but there also seems to be plenty who have done this without a problem (yet) and I've also seen chips that were made specifically for TipTronic. So, do some more research on this if you are concerned about the longevity of your transmission.

With that said, hopefully some others will respond with their own experiences with "Tips and Chips".

Finally, an unrelated comment on the Mustang listed in your post: I used to have an 89 5.0 LX with a similar set of mods but was forced to get rid of it a few years back because I was also getting similar mileage and didn't have the space for two cars. Now I do have the space and wish I had kept it...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Chip

Thanks TheSilverBullet for the feedback. I appreciate the suggestions offered and will consider what you said.
Now on to you...2.7Lturbo. Not only are you rude and ignorant, but I would also consider you a, "Dumbass!" Its like I said in the original post, I was looking for only helpful feedback. If you didn't care for my post you should have simply overlooked it and not offered a reply. I don't need some rude SOB making, "smart ***" comments on something which does not directly affect him. **** Off!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wow dude, stfu and stfa, seriously. good luck getting help from anyone in the future
Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, but I had to log in to reply on this one. 2.7 Turbo sounds like a real douchebag. No reason to act that way.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To Max and Bullet: clearly he's been a member of a forum before, as he has been flamed for silly questions enough times that he bothered to tell us smart-asses to "keep your comments to yourself", and therefore should have known to search the archives. He also knows that sometimes the smart-asses with the mean comments are also the ones with some really good information, if you bother to ask. 2.7Lturbo is a good example of that.

Used stock turbos are super cheap to free online, but they look like a pain in the butt to install. If you're mechanically adept and willing to maintain the car, chip it. If your budget on this car is anything like your budget on the Mustang, or if you did any of that work yourself, get some OEM+ turbos, piping, and intercoolers, and swap in the driveline from a 6-speed car. Put a decent clutch in it while you're at it. I'm in the process of "fixing" the driveline on my 4.2Q, and I'd love to help you out with your parts and your swap and save you a crapload of trouble if you ask me nicely.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DLCroft929
Hello all,

Step1: Sell the car
Step2: Find same car but with manual 6sp tranny
Step3: Start upgrading.

Alternatively, Step1 and Step2 might be accomplished by buying 6sp tranny and doing the swap but I doubt it is any cheaper these days. I mean I bought 2001 6sp Ar for 6.25k almost a year ago so I know they can be had pretty cheap.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The going rate on a good, working autobox is more than that of a complete, working 6sp swap kit, and yet the 6sp cars sell for more than the autos. The indifference point will vary with your imputed cost of labor. Still, that's a good point. I say get a 4.2 and convert it, but then again, I'm biased.