A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Picky/Hesitant Acceleration + Left-Turn Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picky/Hesitant Acceleration + Left-Turn Squeak

I bought a 2001 A6 2.8 quattro about three weeks ago and starting a week ago I have noticed a squeak coming from the left front of the car. Its a high-pitched slightly vibarting squeal. Sounds like metal on metal and it only occurs when i'm turning left at or above 35mph and stops immediately after I straighten out. It doesn't happen on slow or very sharp turns though just fast long-winded turns.

Thoughts? CV Joint? Wheel Bearing?

The other issue is the acceleration is quite the picky little thing. Sometimes I am slammed into my seat by the torque on a green light and then other times I feel like i'm driving a grandpa cruiser. Its either hesitant, choppy and weak or its better than my pop's Beemer. The car also shakes about 20% of the time its going between 70mph and 80mph. I'd love some consistency with her. Any thoughts on this?

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

The shaking around 70-80 is possibly just a wheel balance issue, but could be as bad as something with your rotors (shrug?).

The acceleration is indeed the monster that is the automatic trans coupled with a pretty slow engine. The 2.8 doesn't have a lot of power below 4k rpm and so unless you keep it up there (either with your foot on the floor or the tiptronic) it has a hard time moving very much. You get used to it and it's a fairly predictable machine; you can flick your toe to get it to down shift when you want.

Squeak/squeal could be a wheel bearing? Sounds like it is still within tolerance and normal operating behavior, unless it's a REALLY loud squeak. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by nm3210; 03-21-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Look at:

Wheel bearing for noise issue. More likely on (U.S.) passenger side if happening when you are turning left. Outside chance it could even be a bearing mounting bolt grinding on the outer CV joint. Recently had that fluke on my C5 4.2.

Look at both wheel balance and possibly a bent rim on the shake issue. Or a internally torn tire belt with a patch job covering it over I suppose. Can also be worn tie rod ends, or worn suspension arms, likely the front upper ones on the inside bushing/mount point. Easy to inspect those control arm bushings.

Also, look at spark plug change (and air filter) from what you describe if they haven't been changed recently, and definitely a bottle or two of Techron (cheapest, easiest thing to try of all).

Look at CV joints in general too. As a 2001, the boots are likely torn by now unless previously changed, usually the outer fronts. Could fit into your noise, but even if its a wheel bearing, a chance to address both ills at once and with a lot of related labor steps.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-21-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cosmos
I have noticed a squeak coming from the left front of the car.
Thoughts? CV Joint? Wheel Bearing?
Definitely not a CV joint. Wheel bearing is unlikely - it would be rumbling like hell. Check the splash shield on the brakes to see if it is rubbing on the rotor.

Originally Posted by The Cosmos
The other issue is the acceleration is quite the picky little thing.
Is the CEL on? Have you pulled codes from both the engine and transmission?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nm3210
Squeak/squeal could be a wheel bearing? Sounds like it is still within tolerance and normal operating behavior, unless it's a REALLY loud squeak. Just my thoughts.
When its squeaking anyone within a quarter mile of me could hear it cry.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Wheel bearing for noise issue. More likely on (U.S.) passenger side if happening when you are turning left. Outside chance it could even be a bearing mounting bolt grinding on the outer CV joint. Recently had that fluke on my C5 4.2.

Look at both wheel balance and possibly a bent rim on the shake issue. Or a internally torn tire belt with a patch job covering it over I suppose. Can also be worn tie rod ends, or worn suspension arms, likely the front upper ones on the inside bushing/mount point. Easy to inspect those control arm bushings.

Also, look at spark plug change (and air filter) from what you describe if they haven't been changed recently, and definitely a bottle or two of Techron (cheapest, easiest thing to try of all).

Look at CV joints in general too. As a 2001, the boots are likely torn by now unless previously changed, usually the outer fronts. Could fit into your noise, but even if its a wheel bearing, a chance to address both ills at once and with a lot of related labor steps.
Yes that was a typo. Its coming from the right front. I tried a bottle of Techron exactly a week ago and no noticeable changes occured.

Thanks man. Very informative reply there. Will keep it all in mind.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Is the CEL on? Have you pulled codes from both the engine and transmission?
The CEL is not on.